Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: subiedude09's unclosure build thread

I love the enclosure. Ya' got style. It would be a help to me if you uploaded some pictures of how you did your light fixtures, wiring, and what not.

Thank you!

Default Re: subiedude09's unclosure build thread

That actually sounds exactly like Yoshi. He comes out to feed and really likes to eat. But he does not like being picked up at all. If he climbs into my hand or arms right away he tries and wiggles his way out of my hands. I cannot hold him for more than 5 seconds in my hands but if he crawls on my arm and I hold it against my stomach he stays there which I find weird as to why he doesn't like being held in my hands. He also does exactly what jazz does when he is constantly looking for a way out. He doesn't pay much attention to me but instead just looks for a small dark place to hide and or run away. I'm more or less just waiting until he gets big enough to not run fast enough and to not care. I'm assuming all this just has to do with being almost a year old and going through that kind of puberty stage maybe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Quote Originally Posted by heatha View Post
    I love the enclosure. Ya' got style. It would be a help to me if you uploaded some pictures of how you did your light fixtures, wiring, and what not.

Thank you!
    thanks heatha, as for the lighting fixtures, im using all dome style fixtures. i screwed in cuphooks to the roof and hang a chain from the hook to a desired length. i then use a picture frame wire (bought at walmart) to attach the chain to the lighting fixture. i cut piece's about 3"-4" long and use it as a bread tie to tie the light wire to the chain all the way up. the wire then travels from the ceiling to the back wall where i cut out 2 holes to run wires thru.

i have 4 lights total in the enclosure. 160w powersun, 100w powersun, 150w red heating bulb and a 100w ceramic heat emiter. the 2 powersuns are on a daytime timer (there's 2 basking spots, one on second level which she loves the most, and the other on the bottom level). the red light and ceramic heater are on a nightime timer.

hopefully that helped you out a bit. ill try and get some pictures up for you! subscribe to this thread so you will get alerted when i upload the pics
    youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/subiedude09

Instagram: subiedude09

B&W Argentine Tegu: Jazz

Citrus Hypo Bearded Dragon: Rango

Sandfire Bearded Dragon: Pyro

Awesome cage man. Definitely gave me some idea's for my cage. Really like how you did the windows, I've been having troubling thinking up a way to do the windows but that looks great
    1.0.0 Black & White Argentine Tegu-Kronos
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake
    0.0.1 Colombian Red-Tailed Boa

Quote Originally Posted by reptidude View Post
    Awesome cage man. Definitely gave me some idea's for my cage. Really like how you did the windows, I've been having troubling thinking up a way to do the windows but that looks great
    thanks man, and im glad i could help

Job well done . It looks great.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    Job well done . It looks great.
    thank you

cleaned the enclosure today. jazz was having a blast watching me lol. she was so curious, that when u was cleaning/mixing the dirt around under the second level, she was licking my forehead and climbed onto my head haha. now, as much as it hurt, it was soo funny and random. she's a goof.

im going to have problems very shortly lol...the paint i used for the enclosure isnt sticking to the wood. the moisture is seperating the paint from the wood and causeing air pockets. the pocket are all located within the substrate line so about 6" of the bottom of the walls have pockets along with a lot of spots on the floor. the substrate is about 6" deep, and obviously the moister of the substrate is what is seperating the paint. the roof, and walls (other then the lower 6") are completely fine. no air pockets anywhere.

when i purchased the paint i told the guy the paint needed to be water proof because it needed to hold lots of humidity daily. i told him it had to be animal safe as well and told him it was for an enclosure. he swore by a specific primer, and paint that i bought and it obviously doesnt work to my expectations. Jazz has been in the enclosure for about 6-7 months now. She is 100% fine and healthy so i dont dought it wasnt animal safe, but i beg to differ about being water resistant.

So now im not sure what i want to do. I dont know if i want to sand and re-paint the floor/affected areas with a better primer/paint, or do laminant tiles or something like that for the floor with a sealant and about 6" up the walls. can some of use share what you used for flooring/paint? i obviously cant trust the paint guy lol. what brands are best? $ isnt to much of an issue...id rather buy something that will work and work well then save some $ and have to do this again down the road.

im probably going to fix this issue in about a month or two. i live in MA and its been in the teens all week and her room gets pretty cold (enclosure is at an 82-86 ambient temp). I'd say the room she is in is terribly insulated and the temp is probably in the low 60's high 50's (depending on weather outside obviously) when the rest of the house is around 68. i havent realy been taking her out to roam because of the fact its cold. sometimes she is persistant with trying to get out so i will let her for about 15 min tops. i do spend time with her talking to her and petting her daily...i just dont want her getting sick because of the rappid temp changes or something.

my plan is to get a huge plastic bin w/ cover and put her in that with some substrate and either one of her powersun bulbs for about 5 days (gives me time to clean out the enclosure and re-paint/fix with drying time and time for the harmful vapors to go away. im going to put the bin in another room thats well heated (unlike her own) and take her out in that room for feedings.

Does anybody have any input or advice that may help me when im ready to fix this enclosure? brands of paint / stains or whatever. Tiles and sealants? ANYTHING? Maybe an idea that i havent mentioned? IM ALL EARS!!! (well eyes in this situation lol)

EDIT: plywood used for enclosure was 3/4" thick poplar wood ($45 for a 4x8 sheet), if anybody needed to know. it was already a smooth finish so i didnt need to sand prior to painting.
    Last edited by subiedude09; 01-10-2014 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by subiedude09 View Post
    im going to have problems very shortly lol...the paint i used for the enclosure isnt sticking to the wood. the moisture is seperating the paint from the wood and causeing air pockets. the pocket are all located within the substrate line so about 6" of the bottom of the walls have pockets along with a lot of spots on the floor. the substrate is about 6" deep, and obviously the moister of the substrate is what is seperating the paint. the roof, and walls (other then the lower 6") are completely fine. no air pockets anywhere.

when i purchased the paint i told the guy the paint needed to be water proof because it needed to hold lots of humidity daily. i told him it had to be animal safe as well and told him it was for an enclosure. he swore by a specific primer, and paint that i bought and it obviously doesnt work to my expectations. Jazz has been in the enclosure for about 6-7 months now. She is 100% fine and healthy so i dont dought it wasnt animal safe, but i beg to differ about being water resistant.

So now im not sure what i want to do. I dont know if i want to sand and re-paint the floor/affected areas with a better primer/paint, or do laminant tiles or something like that for the floor with a sealant and about 6" up the walls. can some of use share what you used for flooring/paint? i obviously cant trust the paint guy lol. what brands are best? $ isnt to much of an issue...id rather buy something that will work and work well then save some $ and have to do this again down the road.

im probably going to fix this issue in about a month or two. i live in MA and its been in the teens all week and her room gets pretty cold (enclosure is at an 82-86 ambient temp). I'd say the room she is in is terribly insulated and the temp is probably in the low 60's high 50's (depending on weather outside obviously) when the rest of the house is around 68. i havent realy been taking her out to roam because of the fact its cold. sometimes she is persistant with trying to get out so i will let her for about 15 min tops. i do spend time with her talking to her and petting her daily...i just dont want her getting sick because of the rappid temp changes or something.

my plan is to get a huge plastic bin w/ cover and put her in that with some substrate and either one of her powersun bulbs for about 5 days (gives me time to clean out the enclosure and re-paint/fix with drying time and time for the harmful vapors to go away. im going to put the bin in another room thats well heated (unlike her own) and take her out in that room for feedings.

Does anybody have any input or advice that may help me when im ready to fix this enclosure? brands of paint / stains or whatever. Tiles and sealants? ANYTHING? Maybe an idea that i havent mentioned? IM ALL EARS!!! (well eyes in this situation lol)

EDIT: plywood used for enclosure was 3/4" thick poplar wood ($45 for a 4x8 sheet), if anybody needed to know. it was already a smooth finish so i didnt need to sand prior to painting.
    I didn't know they sold sheets that were already finished....I spent 5 days sanding down my sheets until I could finally stain them. Oh well, as for your paint problem, do you not want it to be white? I find the white walls of my enclosure from the drylok to be just fine, when dirt gets all on it I just spray it down with a big mister I bought before I had my automatic humidifier set up. The water cleans all the dirt right off and leaves it white and shiny again. Plus if its all buried by dirt then why worry about the color? I'm sure you have your reasons though, but straight up drylok works really well. I don't know if they have made any drylok with actual color though. Might want to look into that. Honestly the only thing I can think of that would 100% work is to repaint the affected areas with the same paint, and then just go over it with some polyurethane. BUT don't take my word for it until a more experienced member on here agrees it will work, I do not want to be responsible for any harm coming to your tegu. That is just the only thing I can think of though as polyurethane is clear, has harmful vapors but those will go away, and it will not come off for just about anything. My dad put this bar top clear coat on our kitchen table, and let me tell you that stuff is tough. I can stab it with a fork and nothing will happen. Only problem is it is pretty expensive. If you're interested and someone else agrees with me ill find out what exactly he used and post it.

Anyways that's just my two cents. I'm super jealous though that Jazz is awake right now and Yoshi has been hibernating since late September. He is the deepest hibernator and has been since day one. It's helpful since I have school and all, and allows me to focus my attention elsewhere...but I just miss the little guy lol.