Thread: For people concerned about humidity...

Default For people concerned about humidity...

I recently made the move from Miami Florida to Indianapolis Indiana. Some people may remember my open air enclosure for my big red tegu I had. it was the back half of a walk in closet. Humidity was not a problem in florida. even without wetting his mulch down, it stayed at a steady 60-70% in his cage all the time. Since moving, he has had to endure a smaller cage, and much lower humidity. I tried hide boxes and wetting the mulch, but nothing seemed to keep it steady. then I remembered this.

http://www.amazon.com/Crane-Drop-Sha...rds=humidifier

I had been using this in a meat drying fridge I made a while back. it works great for keeping humidity up in a small area like a fridge. So I figured, why not. I hooked it up on top of my tegus tank, and tinkered with the settings a bit, now the tank sits at a very steady 65% humidity. The best part is I could ditch his mulch, and the tank doesnt get moist and wet from the humidifier. I have it on the cold side. It drops the overall temp of the tank by 2 degrees or so on the hot side. Red loves to actually sit under the mist as it is falling. heres a crappy pic of it in action. I was in the middle of cleaning the tank, thats why it looks so sloppy right now.
    2012-10-26 19.40.57.jpg

Anyways, just thought I would pop on and share. I know some people struggle to keep the humidity in their enclosures up. by the way, the mist is slightly cooler than the air, so it sinks. which is perfect when placed on top of a tank.

i went to walmart and bought a 10 buck humidifier and hooked it up in the tank the mulch gets slightly damp but it saves me the hassle of misting daily, raises the temp of the tank about 10 degrees for an hr or 2 and is nice and humid all day

I have a humidifier i got from wal mart that I have hooked a hose to and it works great as well... I might have to try setting it on top of the enclosure though... I think he would dig that a lot more and it would be so much easier for me
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins

Default Re: For people concerned about humidity...

I can't keep the humidity up in the enclosure past 45-50% but I do mist when I BBC get hand he has two water dishes

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Are you using screen or glass? If I don't ventilate my enclosure the humidity climbs to over 80% quickly. Also how big is your enclosure? I think the bigger it is the easier it is to keep humidity levels constant.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1082044...eat=directlink Pictures of Tegu & cage construction

He is in his wooden enclosure 7x3x3

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Weird, do you have a lot of substrate? I have about 10" of coconut coir and have a fan blowing in air also to keep the humidity from rising too much.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1082044...eat=directlink Pictures of Tegu & cage construction

Yea about a foot of cypress mulch

from Samsung Galaxy S3

That is weird, I read cypress mulch is WAAAYYYYY better at holding moisture than coconut coir. Maybe its the temperature? My cool side drops to 72 at night with a high around 80 during the day, measured with the probe. Just measured the surface temps with the gun and have 65F cool side and 82F hot, this is with the heat lamp off. Are your temps a lot higher? I know I need to raise my temps, my basking spot is fine but just the general enclosure temp could be warmer.

tegu room.jpgMy pair have a domestic warm mist humidifier in their own room. I have tried both warm mist and cool mist, but as they really really enjoy the climbing opportunities they have I've stuck with the warm mist. In the picture you'll see their main hide which is a vivarium on top of a table that they use to sleep in at night by their own choice, they use a branch to freely access it. They have other hides avaiable but they always sleep there and the humidity in it is slightly higher than the room as the warm mist gets trapped there more. I think it has demonstrated to me that they like to have a humidity gradient.