Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: chacoan yearling new to me, help?

Default chacoan yearling new to me, help?

I have built my 9'x3 1/2' x 2 2/2' enclosure and have all the supplies and my tegu should be here tomarrow. It is a yearling so im concerned about how to interact with it. I want to feed it out of the enclosure, but im not sure if i should grab it or just open the cage a lure it out. Also should i just open the shipping box in the enclosure or ty to grab it? i was wanting to get a hatchling so i could start early gaining trust to be able to handle it. I will post more info on it when it arrives. I hope i can tame it down with it being a yearling already, i heard they are supposed to get tammer as they get bigger but i dont know how much interation its had already, i have my fingers crossed. i have invested alot of money and plan on investing alot of time

I got my yearling from TeguTerra and he was very tame right out of the bag. Also eating banana from my hand the first day, Tegus are mellow as long as you dont man handle them and piss em off lol. I also have a 20 month old Varnyard Extreme and he is a "big ol" baby and puppy tame!
    1.0 2011 Varnyard Extrem, a Sleet & Snow baby - "Louie"
    1.1 Peruvian Boa "BCC" true redtail
    1.1 South Brazilian Boa "BCA"
    1.0 Bolivian Boa "BCA"
    0.3 Colombian Boa "BCI"
    2.3 Suriname Boa "BCC" true redtail
    1.0 North Bazilizn Boa "BCC" true redtail
    0.1 Arizona Mountain King

awesome, thanks alot man,, i got my yearling from teguterra also, hopefully he'll be cool w/ me,, did you wear gloves when you first grabbed him out the bag or just kind of easily dump him out nto his enclosure?

Quote Originally Posted by georgiategu View Post
    awesome, thanks alot man,, i got my yearling from teguterra also, hopefully he'll be cool w/ me,, did you wear gloves when you first grabbed him out the bag or just kind of easily dump him out nto his enclosure?

cool did you get the red or the chacoan? When I talked to Johnny he only had one left of each (after I ordered a chacoan). Anyway I'm having my shipped monday so it will be here tuesday. In the same boat as you!

Quote Originally Posted by psychocircus91 View Post
    cool did you get the red or the chacoan? When I talked to Johnny he only had one left of each (after I ordered a chacoan). Anyway I'm having my shipped monday so it will be here tuesday. In the same boat as you!
    Hint: Read the title

haha wow. right over my head. Did he happen to mention the suspected sex of the tegu?

any update?

Yes I got a Chacoan from Johnny, I reached in the bag and took him out with NO gloves and NO issues. I took him out and gave him a warm bath and then in his cage he went.
    1.0 2011 Varnyard Extrem, a Sleet & Snow baby - "Louie"
    1.1 Peruvian Boa "BCC" true redtail
    1.1 South Brazilian Boa "BCA"
    1.0 Bolivian Boa "BCA"
    0.3 Colombian Boa "BCI"
    2.3 Suriname Boa "BCC" true redtail
    1.0 North Bazilizn Boa "BCC" true redtail
    0.1 Arizona Mountain King

i recieved my chacoan and its 5 months old and just out of brumation, im not sure of the sex and it has a regenerated tail. the tail looks perfect and i wouldnt have probably known for a long time if he didnt tell me. I have been letting him get used to his new home all week and im going to let him roam tonight after i tegu proof the room. I have been feeding him outside of its enclosure in another one and he hasnt tried to bite or be mean when i pick him up but he definatly wants down and i only have him for a couple seconds to switch enclosures and let him down easy and rub his back a lil but not enough to freak him out too much, im guessing its female but its prob too young to tell by looking at the jaws, ill have to see more once i handle it more

mine really hasnt been eating too much, more like just a few bites, how about yours?