Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: chacoan yearling new to me, help?

any luck with feeding so far? None for me really. He licked a little egg yolk one day, but that's it so far.

ive been trying all sorts of things, i dusted some crickets and he ate them, i know he needs mores than that but im just glad it ate something

Quote Originally Posted by georgiategu View Post
    ive been trying all sorts of things, i dusted some crickets and he ate them, i know he needs mores than that but im just glad it ate something
    yeah. I'm sure it's normal with the new environment and especially with them coming out of brumation. I doubt they would starve themselves. Is yours sleeping/ hiding a lot?

yes but usually comes out to bask for a lil while, i didnt see it come ot today though. it hs been storming here so that might play into that,

Any luck on feeding yet? Mine hasn't been eating and it has me worried, I hope he starts soon I would hate to lose it

OMG. I'm so sorry for not replying to your Thread sooner. I can't believe I missed it ( didn't see it ). The first thing I would check if a Tegu doesn't eat are the temps ( to make sure they are high enough but not above 115 ). That the UVA/UVB is not to far away from the Tegu and that the bulb isn't to old.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I got it to eat some dusted egg,apple,ground turkey mix today, I'm going to get a uva-b bulb this weekend, I have a UV b bulb plus natural sun light. I was really starting to worry because I can tell its not its right weight especially by its tail. Maybe it will keep this up and get fat

I'm glad he ate something. I recommend getting the bulb in the link below. Since Tegus bask a lot it's better to get a bulb that is all in one ( heat, UVA/UVB ). If the get a separate UVA/UVB bulb from the heat bulb then he will not benefit much from the UVA/UVB. The basking temps should be 110-115. Trust me. When he gets the right temps and UVA/UVB he will eat like a pig lol and catch up on the weight .

http://www.reptilesupply.com/product...roducts_id=340
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thank you for the link, I was unsure if that was the right one when I seen it at the pet store, I'm going to switch up his diet a Lil more to see what it likes. I'm going to try some peeled fresh fought shrimp and maybe some whole minnows this week along with some different fruits. I tried a Lil bit of black berries mixed with ground turkey and eggs and it ate it the first time but wasnt interested for the last 3 days. It seems to really like the apple sauce when mixed in so I'm going to keep mixing a Lil in when making its dish.when you say eat like a pig does that mean eat a lot every day being 6 months? I would say it eats 2-4 marble size balls of mixed food when it does and it usually isn't every day even though it is offered and there is more than 7 marbles sized balls. I haven't been letting it get over 105 for longer than an hour or so which it gets to 112-115 so I'm going to let it stay at your recommended temps longer to see if that helps. Thanks for the help, I'm really enjoying my tegu and am about to make a good harness and try it in a secure room a bunch before I let it outside to enjoy.
    Last edited by georgiategu; 05-03-2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: cant spell

I would some whole prey with bones to boost the mineral such as calcium. And then try a good mercury vapor bulb for UVB.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets