Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A question

Default A question

Hello TT. I am new here and have a question on tegus in general. Long story short, I am expecting my first baby girl here in July (really excited too!) Another thing with that was I was really kinda deadset on getting my first baby argentine black and white or red this year. We have a reptile store here that sells them for $110 each when they're on sale and they usually start having babies for sale by early September but I probably won't have mine until mid October. But here's my concern. Should I worry about my baby girl getting salmonella or anything of that nature from it or any reptile at that? I'm definitely not going to let them have direct contact with each other whatsoever until she's old enough to understand how to safely be around reptiles, which probably won't be for quite a long time. I just don't want her to get sick because I'd really feel guilty but I know as long as my hygiene is up to par, I shouldn't have anything to worry about? His/her enclosure may also have to stay in our room for a small amount of time until I can make the move into my new, larger apartment. Of course none of her belongings, crib, etc will be kept near the tegu or it's enclosure. My mom is big on the whole salmonella and reptiles and I know infants are more prone to catching it but overall, I shouldn't have anything to worry about?

Welcome to the site . You pretty much answered your own question as long as you keep up with hygiene you shouldn‘t have any issues with your baby and salmonella. We come in contact with salmonella more often than most people think about or even realise. Since practically every living thing carries it in one form or another. Its just that proper hygiene after handling and our immune system keeps it in check.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

Whew! That's really good to hear and thank you so much for the welcoming! I'll be sure to post a lot of pics of her and my new little gu once they arrive

And actually, as long as your tegu is TAME, and you supervise them, I wouldn't even mind having a 6 month old with an adult Tegu. I was around pythons when I was younger than that. It's all about supervision.

I'm 15, and after I pet my Tegu (and other reptiles) feed them their raw meat and frozen rodents, prepare their food, and kiss them (on the nose/mouth too) I don't wash anything. Havn't been sick in over 4 years. Salmonella is at restaurants, stores, Wal-Mart, your HOME, your STOMACH, everywhere. Honestly, I think people put too much into Salmonella. As long as your baby is healthy, IMO, Hygiene (as far as Salmonella goes) isn't even an issue, because it's already present and a healthy body can flush it out.

Welcome to the site(: Looks like everybody already anwsered your question haha But welcome! (:
    I wouldnt worry about anything either. I let my little cousins and neices handle and touch my reptiles everything they come over! I just make sure they wash their hands after(: The reason being, is being so little, they dont know what salmonella or any of that is, so they dont know that if they started putting their hands to their mouth they could get sick. But once they know better they will learn and have more common sense (for lack of better words)

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
    Welcome to the site(: Looks like everybody already anwsered your question haha But welcome! (:
    I wouldnt worry about anything either. I let my little cousins and neices handle and touch my reptiles everything they come over! I just make sure they wash their hands after(: The reason being, is being so little, they dont know what salmonella or any of that is, so they dont know that if they started putting their hands to their mouth they could get sick. But once they know better they will learn and have more common sense (for lack of better words)
    Even after handling reptiles, a HEALTHY person even a very young one, should be able to suck on his hand for 30 minutes and be fine.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I feel much more comfortable with getting one. Now the only thing to worry about is if I'll actually have enough time to care for one by that time Though I'm confident I probably will

your not only getting salmonella when you "suck on your hands" after touching a reptile... Your getting germs from every single thing that animal as touched. Lets be honest, I wouldnt up and lick my tegus enclsosure. Yes, I think you should be fine if you have a good immune system and to an extent I do agree with you. But even the most germaphobic people get sick.. and its just gross.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripkabird98 View Post
    Even after handling reptiles, a HEALTHY person even a very young one, should be able to suck on his hand for 30 minutes and be fine.
    Idk that I would go that far. Hand washing definitely won't hurt anything. I would just wash my hands after handling them the same that you would do if you touched raw meat or went to the bathroom. Better to be safe than sorry. Salmonella is present pretty much everywhere but I have a friend who gave it to his daughters after not washing his hands and handling their iguana. Infants and the elderly are more susceptible to any kind of infection. Hand washing is key, don't soak the reptile in the bath tub where the baby washes and if you do make sure to clean it thoroughly don't use the same towels, sponges or wash rags on the baby that you have used on the tegu or it's enclosure and you should be just fine.
    Gnat
    "I am patient with stupidity but not those who are proud of it"~Edith Sitwell
    "Nothing brings people together like a mutual hatred"~ Henry Rollins

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
    your not only getting salmonella when you "suck on your hands" after touching a reptile... Your getting germs from every single thing that animal as touched. Lets be honest, I wouldnt up and lick my tegus enclsosure. Yes, I think you should be fine if you have a good immune system and to an extent I do agree with you. But even the most germaphobic people get sick.. and its just gross.
    That's the problem with today's society. We act just like the whole "wash hands, wash hands". I have an Auti-Immune diesase, so I have no immune system. I don't wash my hands after reptile interactions, and will then eat a hamburger and fries, after feeding them, bathing them, and playing with them. I havn't been sick in over 4 years. The whole point is when exposed from a young age, we should be fine. They human body is made to survive, not be cleansed with anti-microbiaol soap.