Thread: Tegu trying to drown self?!?!?!

Default Tegu trying to drown self?!?!?!

My columbian tegu Harvey has been very special to my heart. We've had bad things like escapes and vomiting but now I'm having a really strange issue. My tegu apoears to be trying to drown himself. I walked in this morning to find him curled up in his water bowl with his head completely under water. Thinking I'd save him or whatever, i pulled his torso out of the water. He seemed rather lethargic and sleepy. I put his hands on the side and closed the cage. Then he stuck his head back under water. Somehow, he appears to be okay for a while. He's just now brought his nose back out to breathe. I'm confused and worried. Any ideas?

What did you feed him before he got sick before ? Did it just happened once or more often ? What kind of lighting do you have ? What are the basking temps ? What kind of UVA/UVB light do you have, how old is it and how far away is it from your Tegu ? Is he by any chance shedding right now ? How long does he stay under water ? We have five Tegus and sometimes when I give them a bath in the bathtub they put their head under water, too, and stay there for a little while. I'm just a bit worried about yours because you have mentioned that he seems lethargic. So I don't know if he is sick or it's maybe because he doesn't have the right lighting.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    What did you feed him before he got sick before ? Did it just happened once or more often ? What kind of lighting do you have ? What are the basking temps ? What kind of UVA/UVB light do you have, how old is it and how far away is it from your Tegu ? Is he by any chance shedding right now ? How long does he stay under water ? We have five Tegus and sometimes when I give them a bath in the bathtub they put their head under water, too, and stay there for a little while. I'm just a bit worried about yours because you have mentioned that he seems lethargic. So I don't know if he is sick or it's maybe because he doesn't have the right lighting.
    Sorry for freaking. He's fine now.. the water was just cold I think. I have uva and uvb lighting on top of his tank. Right after I wrote that he stuck his nose out of the water.

Please, don't be sorry about it . I'm glad to hear that he is doing well now.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Default Re: Tegu trying to drown self?!?!?!

Tegus sometimes sit under water fully because the humidity isn't high or they want to clean out their nose and all, my Godzilla does that amd when he first did it I panicked lol grabbed him and he flipped

from Samsung Galaxy S3