Thread: Creative idea for enclosure? or Stupid idea?

Default Creative idea for enclosure? or Stupid idea?

Ok everybody, my name is Taylor and I live in southern california (Long Beach). I have a baby extreme male from bobby at varnyard (hope its a male) and I have a question about a possible enclosure idea. Ok just hear me out. I have betelgeuse in a 40 gallon breeder, that of which he is seemingly comfortable in. However he will be getting a lot larger and I was wondering since I only have room for a 6x3x3 enclosure and not really any larger, could I just leave the door to his enclosure open all the time so he can come and go as he pleases? I plan on getting a larger enclosure in the coming months depending on how fast he grows so I have time to build. I just hear that 6x3x3 is too small for an extreme. If I have a repti fogger on and adequate uva light, living in socal it doesnt get below 50 at night and is always 70-80 everyday could I theoretically just have my whole apartment be his enclosure? I just dont like the idea of keeping him locked up in his cage all day until I get home from school or work ya know. is this a bad idea or could it work? He would know where to go for basking, water, and to sleep in his hide. I feel like this is a good idea and since he has access to an 850 square foot apartment, he wouldnt need an 8 or 10 foot enclosure, especially if it is open all the time. What does everybody think?
    jesus owned a tegu

also, I would probably have at least 2 basking spots, one in the living room and the other in the kitchen. should have titled this free roam tegu but I wrote title first and forgot to change it. anyway, is 6x3x3 too small if I do that?
    jesus owned a tegu

Hi Taylor. It's nice to hear that Betelgeuse woke up from his hibernation . What is the 6x3x3 enclosure made out of ? Is it already build or are you going to build it ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I havent built it yet, I am just entertaining the idea of what to do when he gets bigger. I moved into a new apartment, a bigger nice one, and I am just wondering where to put him. I could totally put him in one of two places but I feel him being able to freeroam would greatly improve the quality of his life and would also negate me needing to get an enormous ten foot cage as recommended for extremes. Hopefully by the time he is fully mature Ill have a house and my dream job so this is all temporary, sort of lol
    jesus owned a tegu

I understand. If you want to you can put a doggy door on the enclosure. This way it will keep the heat and the humidity inside the enclosure better. I would get one that you can lock the door in case you don't want him to come out. It's great if he could free roam around when he is bigger.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

i think its a good idea. just know your most likely gonna have to pick up poop often. my jazz love to poo on the tiles in the bathroom for some reason :p lol.
    youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/subiedude09

Instagram: subiedude09

B&W Argentine Tegu: Jazz

Citrus Hypo Bearded Dragon: Rango

Sandfire Bearded Dragon: Pyro

just make sure he cant hide in the couches beds under or between the fridge stove dishwasher cabinets etc...if hes a fully grown extreme than itll be easier but if hes still a lil younger than they can squeeze into some pretty amazing places

Very cool. Ya I figure it will be a couple years before He will be big enough to just let free roam.
    jesus owned a tegu

I think it is a good idea, you might want to consider having a warm mist domestic humidifier in the same room as his 6x3x3 and keeping that room shut. This will give him plenty of room and keep the humidity stable, you can keep the 6x3x3 enclosure levels a bit higher with a bit of misting and he will probably use it as his hide as they like to go and sleep somewhere a bit more humid than elsewhere. As for pooping, mine are toilet trained and do their business on a plastic tray that is easy for me to clean. They really are quite bright, if given the opportunity he certainly won't choose to poop in his enclosure. Hope this helps

stuee. This is so cool that your Tegus are toilet trained. How did you train them ? It's nice to see you back.

Our videos :