Thread: Blue Tegu Housing Question

Default Blue Tegu Housing Question

Hello again everyone. Due to a change of plans, I've decided to hold off getting a tegu until the 2014 season. But with that, I plan on getting a Blue. I've read a lot of caresheets that say a 6x3x3 is the absolute minimum for reds and black and whites but suitable for blues. I was just wondering is this size really ok for a blue to anyone who actually owns them? I've seen a few for sale on craigslist and I love how they appear to be smaller compared to the reds and black and whites. Would a 6x3x3 be fine for just one? I can definitely work with this size enclosure and with the new apartment I'm getting, it'll have a lot of free roam time in and out of the house.

I think many are finding that the notion of blues remaining smallish is more hyperbole than factual. They may not get as large as some, but they aren't necessarily any smaller than the average Salvator merianae.

I agree. And I think I would use a bigger min than 6x3x3 for them as well. I would use the 6x3x3 as a minimum for T teguixin.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I'm sorry to tell you that 6x3x3 is simply not large enough. Please don't believe that just because blues can generally be a bit smaller they can get by with a bit less room. My two have a 9x4.5x8 room in an outbuilding and they use every bit of it. Their room has branches for climbing and opportunities to use different levels and they make full and constant use of it. They also get outside in decent weather. If you are going to allow them free roaming then simply leave them to it in the room their vivarium is in with the vivarium slightly open and the room door shut with a domestic warm mist humidifier in the room. The 6x3x3 vivarium can be maintained at a slightly higher humidity level with a bit of misting and the gu will use it as a main hide area. I have found blues to be very active and the availability of plenty space to exercise keeps them happy and healthy. All the best wishes to you and you future gu

I agree.

stuee. Could you please post some photos of the enclosure and your Tegus ? I would love to see the set up and the Tegus . Thank you.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I would also agree I have mine in 8x3s although the females appear comfortable in this size my male is fast out growing it hes just passing 54" & I think hes just hit another growth spurt as his appetite is gone through the roof again. they certainly get as big as b&ws & reds but don't seam to carry the bulk, but from what I have seen I would say blues are more active. dureing the summer months my 4 also have an area over 15ft square to let off steam & sun bath.

Wow Chris, George is just growing and growing, not sure he is Ernies brother as he is so much bigger.

Default Re: Blue Tegu Housing Question

What size is Ernie at the min, George had a mad spell of growth last summer, he must of been about an inch every other week. I bet he catches up. He looks so similar even his tint is the same tone aswell as similar markings. Mabe he's a little brother.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2
    follow my tegus on facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/UKbluetegus
    also see them on youtube.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/chrisswizz