Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking with spices

Question Cooking with spices

I just bought a bunch of ground beef and I was looking forward to sharing it with my tegu. However, I accidentally used all the beef I bought to make hamburger patties, completely forgetting to set aside some clean beef for my tegu.
    So my question is, is it unsafe to share food that has been cooked and spiced for people? I added bread, salt, pepper, garlic powder, onions, etc. If my tegu ate this, would it be bad for him? Similarly, if I were to share other food (just meat) from say, take-out, would that be unsafe too? (Not that I've done that. Just bummed about using all the meat that I specifically bought to share with my tegu )

Thank you for asking this question before you would think about doing this. I don't recommend giving any cooked ( unless it's hard boiled eggs ) foods and especially not with any spices in it to your Tegu. You ( we ) never know what spices could harm them ( could be toxic ).
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I cook him chicken and scrambled eggs all the time. You feed yours raw meat?

Yes, I do. I feed them everything raw for except the hard boiled eggs. I put the solid pieces in a casserole dish, put some warm/hot tap water in it and put the lid on it. This will warm up ( also thaw out ) the meat/fish/rodents. With the egg shells I grind them up because the edges on the shells are very sharp.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Yes we recommend raw meat only, cooking the meat will only take all the nutrients away that Tegus needs in there diets
    http://www.facebook.com/tegugurl
    http://http://tegusfromaroundtheworld.weebly.com/
    0.1.0 Red Tegu "Freyja"
    0.1.0 Argentine Black Nose Tegu "Mylnor"
    2.0.0 Chacoan Giant Tegu "Midgard & Murphy
    1.0.0 Chihuahua "Odie"

As many have stated here, it is best to avoid cooked meat with your tegu. I don't think it is as bad as most would think, but truthfully cooking the meat tends to make it harder to digest. That being said, I'd be more worried about some of the ingredients you listed - garlic and onions. These are often reported to be toxic to reptiles. I can't say how toxic, or how well based in evidence this is, but it is commonly stated in veterinary and husbandry literature alike.

Okay so let me get this straight: it is healthier to feed a tegu raw, bacteria-full chicken and/or beef and/or turkey or whatever else meat they can have, as is, cold and thawed and raw? Because that just makes it a lot easier anyway.

Okay so let me get this straight: it is healthier to feed a tegu raw, bacteria-full chicken and/or beef and/or turkey or whatever else meat they can have, as is, cold and thawed and raw? Because that just makes it a lot easier anyway.

Answer: Yes, just as humans have evolved to eat food that has been cooked thus changing the molecules of the meat, reptiles have evolved to eat raw meat. Giving a tegu COOKED meat is not good for your tegu at all. Now you dont exactly want to give them cold meat straight out of the fridge, they probably wont even eat it but yes only raw. The only food you are supposed to cook is eggs, some bacteria you wanna cook out of eggs. Plus raw eggs will give them diarrhea I heard. If you wanna warm up raw food, put it in a zip lock bag and run warm/hot water over it. My tegu wont eat cold meat
    jesus owned a tegu

Bacteria that may be harmful to us (humans) may not be harmful to reptiles and vice versa. check varnyardherps for tegu caresheet
    jesus owned a tegu

Actually, eating raw food is healthiest for people, too. Think of all the chronic health issues we have and a lot of them are diet related.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets