Thread: Not really roaches but...

Default Not really roaches but...

Other than hissers, has anyone ever looked into breeding other large feeders. I was thinking of giant African land snails, giant millipedes or maybe even giant crickets (wetas).

I was reading that in the wild, savanna monitors eat mostly giant african land snails and giant millipedes, and it got me thinking...

Mark.

I'll take that as a no then lol!!!!

On a similar note, I have a colony of giant cave roaches, Blaberus giganteus. My tegus go absolutely mad for the adults which can fly/flutter a little. When I throw one on, it spreads its wings and flutters down. The tegs will run around in circles like crazy after them. The wingspan on these guys must be around 5", so they are a nice meaty snack.

My problem is I can't seem to breed up enough to use them for more than occasional snacks. They seem to be breeding very slowly.

Anyone else working with these and/or have any tips? I was thinking of splitting them into different boxes and trying different things in each. Maybe including a peat/soil substrate to raise humidity etc.

Any ideas?

Mark.

I meant to add that I also have Blatta lateralis and Blaptic dubia under identical conditions, and these species are breeding like crazy, which is why I'm so frustrated with the giganteus.

Mark.

The snails would probably be fine. The millipedes would probably not be so good, the giant crickets I know little about.

Grasshoppers and lucusts are good though.

As far as roaches I just got some giant cave roaches so I will have more answers when I have more time with them. My hissers, discoids & orange spotted breed great, but the orange headeds don't seem to do as well. I will let you know hoe the cave roaches do.

Rick

Rick do you know anyone who has had success breeding grasshoppers. i want to try this summer, but i always hear it wont work. but my tegus love them. i am not allowed to have roaches under strict order of her heiness (the wife) lol.

and i cant get my damn supers to morph

I am unsure who may sell them. I collect grasshoppers during the summer from my backyard. There are no pesticides used in my area so it's easy enough to just go catch what I can use.

Rick

http://insected.arizona.edu/ghopperrear.htm

This may help. It's an article about raising and rearing grasshoppers.

Rick

Cheers Rick, let me know how you get on with your giganteus.

Can you get hold of locusts in the US?

Schistocerca gregaria are readily available in the UK, and easy to breed. After seeing they way my tegus can tear through a couple of dozen adult locusts, I'm planning to start my own colony of these too.

Rick, I found webpage that suggested that giganteus might be more carnivorous than other species, so I was thinking of increasing the animal protein in their diet. I've offered dog/cat food and minced beef/turkey, and they don't seem very keen on it. I'm going to keep trying different things...

Mark.