Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I get a Argentine Tegu?

Default Should I get a Argentine Tegu?

Hello. I'm debating whether or not to get a Argentine Tegu or not. I'm about to move into another apartment and currently have a bearded dragon but I want another pet. I've researched for hours and hours on the Argentine Tegu and I'm considering getting one in the next couple months. I want to get all moved in and settled first tho. Plus I want to make an enclosure for it and everything else first as well. I rushed things with my bearded dragon but he is doing great now. If I were to get a Tegu I was considering leaving his enclosure part open so he can come and go as it wants. The room that his enclosure will be in is plenty big enough and I was planning on making a 8' X 4' X 3'. My apartment complex has a no pet policy unless its in a cage and I already talked to them about if I could have a Tegu and they said as long as I keep an eye on it it's okay with them but if it damages anything I'll have to pay a lot extra. I'm fine with that but I'm wandering if anyone has had any problems with letting there Tegu roam free. Any damages to carpet, walls, and so on. Plus something else I was wandering was how much do you normally pay a month for food and other things for yours. Thanks to all that reply.

Considering you're making a sufficient enclosure, it isn't necessary to allow him to roam at all times. Just allow him to roam when you are around. This will reduce the risk of damage, and you can clean up waste right away. Food costs vary. A variety of foods is important. Some basics are ground turkey, eggs, mice, fruits, and chicken. There are many other things you can feed them as well.

Should you get one? Impossible to say. If you can commit the time, money, and care then they are a very rewarding animal to own. The key is research, research, research.

Hi trombleymat. Welcome to our Tegu forum family. psychocircus91 put it very well. I recommend to bulk buy the food ( like the meat and the rodents ). Portion them up ( I use a foodsaver machine ) and freeze them. Since we have five Tegus and I bulk buy the food it's very hard for me to say how much the food would cost for one Tegu. In case you are interested in bulk ordering the rodents I'll give you a link on where to get them. If you are going to get a Tegu please stay away from Bobby Hill ( Varnyard.com ). He has been scamming a lot of people ( including me ). If you are going to get one let us know and we can recommend you to some very good breeders. You are more than welcome to check out my youtube channel so you can see how tame and smart they can be. You can find my channel in my signature. Oh, I almost forgot. I'm sorry. I recommend giving your Tegu a bath first before letting him free roam around the house. Most of them poop in the water. The biggest damage would be with the carpet ( him pooping on it ). Other than that they don't mess with the walls ( unless there is a hole in it and they go into it ).

Bulk ordering rodents:

http://www.rodentpro.com/

http://www.rodentpro.com/frozen-feed...nformation.asp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKhcqfsUNRA
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thanks both of you for replying. I've been doing some major researching since I posted this. With the information you have given me I'm really considering buying one for sure now but I think I might wait a while and get some extra funds just in case something goes wrong. We don't need him/her starving or getting hostel because I can't provide the proper care. I'm also waiting to move into my new apartment so might have to put some money back every week to get enough. Wont be hard to do though. I'll be posting again once I have him or her but in the mean time I'll keep researching. Would it be better to get a Tegu from a reptile expo or through a breeder? And if a breeder is the best option who would you recommend? I live in Ohio if that information is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by trombleymat View Post
    Thanks both of you for replying. I've been doing some major researching since I posted this. With the information you have given me I'm really considering buying one for sure now but I think I might wait a while and get some extra funds just in case something goes wrong. We don't need him/her starving or getting hostel because I can't provide the proper care. I'm also waiting to move into my new apartment so might have to put some money back every week to get enough. Wont be hard to do though. I'll be posting again once I have him or her but in the mean time I'll keep researching. Would it be better to get a Tegu from a reptile expo or through a breeder? And if a breeder is the best option who would you recommend? I live in Ohio if that information is needed.
    It's good that you plan to have extra money. The main costs are the tegu itself, and building the enclosure, but you never know if you'll need a vet visit, and as you know there are monthly food costs. You could get a tegu from an expo, but the problem is you'd have trouble researching the breeder on the spot. Most people tend not to see argentine tegus at expos, but it depends. Columbians are more often available there.

As far as breeders: My recommendation is tegu terra. Johnny is a great, honest guy with good communication and lovely tegus. I have heard good things about underground reptiles, but they sell many types of animals.

Somehow I didn't think about that. That's a good point. Thanks. I'll look into Tegu terra. My girlfriend promised that she would get me a tegu when I had everything for it so all I need to do is finish a project for my bearded dragon then start the tegu project then I'll wait to save some money before I go and get one.

Your welcome. I also highly recommend the breeder in the link below. I ordered a red Tegu baby from him last year for a friend of mine. Both, the Breeder and the Tegu are awesome.

https://www.facebook.com/typherp
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    Your welcome. I also highly recommend the breeder in the link below. I ordered a red Tegu baby from him last year for a friend of mine. Both, the Breeder and the Tegu are awesome.

https://www.facebook.com/typherp
    That "friend" is me, LOL. Loki was purchased for me by txrepgirl from Tyherp. He is just sooo sweet. I would recommend tyherp anytime, anywhere!

Yes. Dillon is my buddy who I was talking about .

Dillon. I'm glad you are happy with Loki .

Our videos :

I bought my Columbian from Underground Reptiles. I'm pleased with the quality of their herps and prices. I bought a Blue tongue skink [Northern] from them a few years ago and people have commented on his nice coloring! I read that the Columbians don't get as large as the Black and White Argentinas do.