Thread: Behavior issues help

Default Behavior issues help

As you all have read, my husband wanted to sell my red tegu. However, thanks to some insight from a few people, I've talked my husband into giving him a second shot. Here's what's going on and set up.

Setup: 8x4x4 plywood and plexiglas, uvb bulb. Basking spot is right at 114 using chicken coop 250 watt infrared bulb and belly heat with flexwatt under the bedding at 81 degrees. Cool side is sitting right at 74 in far corner, middle cool side is 76. Cypress mulch and peat moss mixture 5" thick. Water bowl big enough to soak in if he wants. I have a lid he likes to bang on walls, & ball to mess with.

Ok, now for his behavior. He is eating great. Likes a lot of different foods, eats it up. Whenever my husband is in the room and I open it to mess with him, feed him, water changes, etc he freaks. Hisses, tailwhips, etc. When I am by myself he tolerates me. I can't touch him, but he doesn't do those things. I can only pick him up if I am waking him up which I hate to do. Husband and I have been working on just sitting there. Last night tegu was in arm of the shirt we have in there. My husband was holding his food in front of his head and he would poke his head out, grab some then run back in the arm sleeve and repeat. This repeated until the food was gone, only then did he tailwhip my husband. Rage will let me get in his cage to clean or whatever but everyone else he feels threatened by.

Are we doing something wrong? If so what do I do to right this?? He had a male for a previous owner, so I'm wondering if he's not afraid or feels threatened by males.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

If he is that aggressive (especially towards your husband) i would not have him hand feeding him.

It is very possible that his previous owner was not only neglectful but also very impatient with the tegu and resulted to negative reinforcement rather than just taking the time. If that is the case then it is the cause of his behavior.

It sounds like he is very afraid of both of you (more your husband obviously) This is because he doesn't trust you.

What I would do to gain trust with him in this particular situation is as follows:

Find a room without much stuff in the floor for him to climb in and hide etc (bathrooms tend to be best)

Set up a comfortable seating place on the floor for you to sit and bring a book/laptop/anything to keep you occupied

Transport Rage into the bathroom with you (if he doesn't let you pick him up, wrap him in a shirt and carry him over), close the door

Now the fun part, waiting. Just sit in there with him let him explore a little bit, if he wants to come to you he will (which is also a sign of trust)

Do this a couple times a week whenever you have time, dont expect results right away. it takes time.

I hope this helps
    Goodluck
    Mushu!

*to improve his behavior with other people make sure he trusts you first. After that you should think of bringing your husband into the bathroom with you (if its big enough, if not find a bigger room and clear the floors)
    Mushu!

Default Re: Behavior issues help

I would have never even thought of that. Thank you.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

the bathroom trick worked great for me as well. i still do it even though my tegu is pretty tame. just gives easy one on one time and some excise for him while he explores the area.