Thread: Possible small growth on ear?

Default Possible small growth on ear?

Hey guys. After my tegu's last shed, I've noticed this weird, tiny, sunflower seed shaped growth on his ear. I can't find anything online about it, and I'm really hoping it's nothing serious. The area around his ears are turning orange like his belly, and I'm presuming that's normal, but on one ear there's the sunflower-seed-shaped lump. I'm afraid to call it a lump though. If I'm being too vague I will take pictures. Any ideas on what this could be? An infection? His other ear doesn't have it, which is worrying me.

I sincerely appreciate any replies,
    Pyro

No Vets here which may be what you need, and can't really say much without pics.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

Could you please post some photos ? Thank you.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Could potentially be a tick.

How is your Tegu doing ? Did that spot get bigger or is it the same ?
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

Hey guys - sorry for the delayed response.
    Checking on him again the same day, the growth was gone, which worried me a little, since tupinambis mentioned that it could potentially be a tick. I've made an appointment for the vet for next week for that reason and because he's been showing signs of MBD. I'm not entirely sure whether or not it's because I've been giving him too much calcium +d3 supplement or if he's lacking it. There has just been a lot of twitching in his legs and now his upper back, which is really worrying me. I do have a PowerSun and a UVA light on him from 7 am to 8 pm daily. I'll get back to this thread once I see my vet.
    Thank you guys

Your welcome. Thank you for keeping us posted. I'm glad it's gone. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with him ( with the growth before ). Is the Power Sun the one that is heat and UVA/UVB all in one ? How far away is it from your Tegu ? How old is the buld ? How often do you give him the calcium powder ? Good luck at the Vet. Since your Tegu has some signs of MBD the Vet might give you some liquid calcium for a while.

Our videos :

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    Your welcome. Thank you for keeping us posted. I'm glad it's gone. Hopefully there is nothing wrong with him ( with the growth before ). Is the Power Sun the one that is heat and UVA/UVB all in one ? How far away is it from your Tegu ? How old is the buld ? How often do you give him the calcium powder ? Good luck at the Vet. Since your Tegu has some signs of MBD the Vet might give you some liquid calcium for a while.
    My PowerSun does have that all included. It's suspended from a reptile light stand thats approx. 2 1/2 feet. The vet was really friendly, humble and informative (for anyone in the Long Island NY area - I highly recommend Dr. Monaco). He did provide us with liquid calcium and after I mentioned that there might have been a tick or some kind of bug on his ear, he asked for a stool sample. I sincerely wish I could remember the name of the bacteria, but the vet simply stated that it's common in tegus and recommended that I should wash my hands thoroughly after handling him (which I do anyway). Dr. Monaco even let me observe the bacteria under a microscope, which was pretty neat. He did prescribe flagyl to aid in digestion.

I give my tegu calcium powder (Zoomed's Reptivite with d3) every time he eats meat or crickets, which is about 3-4 times a week. To determine if a tegu is eating too much calcium supplement, my vet said that it would harm the kidneys and cause the tegu to lose its appetite.

The bulb is about 3-4 months old.
    Thank you guys for your recommendations and advice

Your welcome . I'm glad you found such a great Vet. If your Tegu is basking a lot you might want to get some calcium powder without the D3. Thank you for keeping us posted. Oh, I almost forgot. If you have a good Reptile store in your area you can ask them to check your bulb to make sure it still has enough UVA/UVB. Our Reptile store does it for us. I was looking in getting a reader for the UVA/UVB but they are very expensive.

Our videos :

I'm also glad to hear that you have a vet appt. Do let us know how he's doing.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets