Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble increasing basking spot temperature

Default Trouble increasing basking spot temperature

Hello all, my name is Taylor and I live in Southern California. I have an extreme giant from Varnyard named Betelgeuse, that I got back in August of 2012. He hibernated from about late october to mid march. I have him in a 40 gallon breeder with orchid bark, proper water bowl, some reptile safe plants as decoration, and a couple cinder blocks on the hot side at different heights to allow for a proper thermal gradient, also I am using a 160 watt powersun. My problem is that I am having a hard time getting the basking temperatures on the highest level of cinder block up past 95 degrees. The bottom of the dome is exactly 11 inches away from the top cinder block and the light sits inside the dome about an inch and a half, so my light is about 12.5 inches away from the top cinder block. i would like to reach basking temperatures upwards of 115-120 for the highest level but I just dont know how to do it? Is is safe to drop the zoo med powersun 160 watt below 12 inches? should I put a black slate rock on top so it absorbs more heat?

I will try and attach photos so you all can get a more comprehensive idea. Thank you for your help everyone
    jesus owned a tegu

IMG_8324.jpgIMG_8024.jpgIMG_7563.jpgIMG_0950.jpgIMG_0116.jpg

Also, Betelgeuse was in the process of shedding so in the photos you can see some of his skin
    jesus owned a tegu

Hi Taylor. Betelgeuse is so cute . He looks great. If you want to you can lower the dome. As long as the bulb doesn't touch the screen. You also can ductape some aluminum to the screen and cut a big hole in it for the dome ( and so some air can get in it ). This will keep some of the heat and the humidity in. I don't recommend having the basking spot higher than 115. You don't have to put a different rock in it. Because Tegus get their heat from above not from the bottom. Thank you for posting the photos.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

You have a beautiful set up and tegu! I'm very jealous

Hi Taylor. Maybe you've solved your problem already, but if not maybe this will help. These types lamps are good for uv but don't provide enough heat for a basking zone for a tegu. You always need to couple it with a second lamp. This does not need to be another uv lamp, just some other type of heat bulb, halogen is great, maybe a 75 watt in your case. Just put that one as close as you need to the Powersun in order to achieve the correct temperature you are looking for. Try to make the basking zone as large as possible so that the whole tegu can bask all at once, not small so he has to keep adjusting his position.

I second what txrepgirl said about taping aluminum to the screen it works wonders and I used it with frogs which require higher humidity than tegus.
    Tyson-2011 red tegu
    Alice-jungle boa bcc
    Cooper-normal red tail bcc
    Bubba- blood python
    Titan- normal mainland reticulated python
    Lamia- amazon tree boa
    Chunk- pacman frog
    Simba- pug/shar pei mix

Where do you guys find your halogen now. All I can find are energy efficient bulbs. I used to use the 65 watt outdoor bulbs.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

All I'm using is the Zoo Med Powersun. I get them at different places.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

i love your setup...looks awesome

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    All I'm using is the Zoo Med Powersun. I get them at different places.
    I have been debating using a powersun my house is draft over 200 years old and I could not get the temp up using one of those. On the other hand I hate the looks of the reptisun in an enclosure.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo