Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Based Stain? effects if already used? =/

Unhappy Oil Based Stain? effects if already used? =/

So i made a tank for my savannah monitor because he was the biggest then put teggy in the tank he was in. my sav usually isnt VERY active but he likes to hide under his log when he goes to sleep, he is even being to lazy to go to that. I may be just paranoid but it seems like he is even less active since i put them into it about 30 hours ago. Is he just maybe getting used to his new house? or could he be getting a poisoning from the oil based stain i used? (i also used 100% silicone caulk) I painted then waited a week to put him into the enclosure so that it would have time to dry out. what could be the short term effects of this or how long should i be worried about it if it does not get better? I looked at google with no confirming results but i have heard from some that it was ok now i am hearing the opposite im not sure what to think or do. please help.

I wish I could help :(
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I'm sorry that I can't help you on this one either :( . I would call a Vet and ask them if the Stain could be toxic.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I have used oil base primers, and 100% silicone before, with no problems. I would say if you can not smell and vapors, and he is not ingesting anything, then that is not the problem.
    It's all fun and games until you lose your right to vote and bare arms!!!!

thanks reddawg...i know hes pretty darn lazy but i just am hoping that he is ok because the tegu is stoked to have a bigger tank and runs around everywhere, the sav just sits in one spot all the time

What are the basking temps right on the basking spot ? If the temps are to low he will be less active.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

well his basking i figured out was wayyy to hot...pushing 150...but where he likes to lay alot is 96 and the cool side is 85

Wow. That is very hot. I'm glad you figured it out. The basking temps should be higher than 115.

Our videos :

he usually likes it at 125...and suprisingly has been laying under it at 150, crazy...but its moved now so its not so hot

If you do have it hotter than 115 please make sure he doesn't get dehydrated and doesn't get burnt. I saw some very bad scars before from the animal getting burnt.

Our videos :