Thread: Good idea or bad idea?

Lightbulb Good idea or bad idea?

Okay, first of all, I'm from Buenos Aires, Argentina. I'm planning to get a B&W tegu soon (CBB, of course), and I have an idea but I'd like to ask you guys first
    Like I said before, I live in Buenos Aires, wich is a great part of the tegu natural territory, what I was thinking to do is this:
    I would build an enclosure (i.e: terrarium) with 180x80x80 cm, with controlled heat and temperature and everything, and the tegu would be there the first years, going out occasionally to take his sunbaths with a leash or in a controlled area, eat, and for some handling;
    when he had grown, I would build him an outside enclosure, or let him free roam on my backyard, so he can get natural sunlight and a lot of exercise, and let him go inside the house or the terrarium if he wants to, especially on cold days. In winter he would be most of the time in the terrarium, but i would give him the option to go out if it's not a cold day.
    So, what would you say? Does this sounds good or what do you think?
    Please, if you have any suggestions or comments, just tell! :P
    (PD: I'm sorry if I had bad grammar or something, English is not my mother language.)

I'd say it's a great idea and I think your tegu will be very happy, especially since they live there naturally so obviously the temps are alright most of the time.

Welcome to the site . Sounds good to me, just know that if the tegu doesn't hibernate then it will out grow that size enclosure well with in it's first year.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

Wow, I thought their max lenght was around 1,30 meters including the tail, if you say they can grow much more than that maybe i will have to let him brumate a couple times :p
    what size of enclosure would you recommend?

Welcome to the forum! We have members from other countries who do not speak English as a first language. please do not feel embarrassed or hesitant to post. I believe one member, Tupinambis, speaks pretty fluent Portuguese as well.

We generally recommend an 8ft (240cm) long and 3-4ft (90-120cm) wide enclosure for an adult tegu.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Thanks for your answers!
    Anyway, the idea would be to let him free roam most of the time when he was an adult, or (if I'm not at home to watch him) he would stay in the 'outside enclosure', in a fenced part of my backyard. The inside enclosure would be for him to stay until he was big enough to be able to free roam without getting stuck in weird places and that kind of stuff, or to brumate in winter in a controlled area, but the idea is letting him free roam around the house/backyard the most time possible. But if you say that a bigger inside enclosure is necessary anyways, then I would see what I can do to get a bigger one.