Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Emergency please read asap

So sorry. Keep us updated on what happened. Ask the vet about bone density on the x-ray to see if he needs a calcium boost in his diet.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I always find these messages troubling. I agree that, from what I know, usually limbs cannot be properly "casted" like we do with people. However, they CAN be immobilized, splinted, given support and even surgery performed to use plates and screws to help set and mend the breaks. I've heard the "we can only amputate or leave it be on its own" line myself and it was just a line given by inexperienced veterinarians. This being said, getting something more can be very expensive. In a similar situation, I travelled about 5000 km to get an experienced vet to do surgery and put in some temporary implants in a reptile of mine that had an accident, and in total I think I paid about $7000. I wanted the best and wasn't going to accept an amputation just because my local veterinarians were inexperienced. And I'm glad I did because the animal in question healed beautifully from his ordeal. It's a matter of how much you're willing to spend and go for your pet.

Second opinion with a reptile vet, my thoughts exactly. To many Vets rush to surgery or amputation, well actually our Drs too. I'm not sure if you live near a zoo or a school with a vet department but I would be calling and asking for suggestions from them too. Even a modified Ex Fix (external fixator) can do wonders since he's still young but bone density would play a role in that.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

We looked for a vet all week to take on fixing his leg we found one that has fixed a leg with a break that bad in a monitor but should be the same for my aragon so his leg should be saved $6578.75 later but surely worth every penny thanks for the support guys been a long week <3

Screenshot_2013-05-06-14-15-30.jpg the bones look great minus the break they said so pin and cast after a bit of surgery should save his leg finally this week! Excited he looks depressed :(

It's very sad it took a long time to find an experienced vet with reptiles went to the vet university in Guelph ontario finally putting an end to our search thanks for your support it means alot

I'm so happy to hear that all turned out well . Thank you for keeping us posted. If you want to you can post your Vet's information in the link below. So if someone lives where you are and needs a Vet he/she would know where to go. Thank you. He is very blessed to have you.

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...s-Informations
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl