Thread: Gurgling?

Default Gurgling?

The last couple days my boy is making a strange noise. It sounds a bit like a gurgle or a cat chortling. It has immediately made me think of a RI. Sounds nothing like wheezing or popping, and shows no other typical Ri signs.

He hasn't eaten as much in the last several weeks, but he still eats with gusto. Don't know it that is related or he just isn't growing as much (he is about 3 1/2 feet) and doesn't need as much as I am giving him. He doesn't really act any different otherwise - explores when he is out and is a lazy basker.

I don't hear the noise all the time just now and then. I spray his cage once a day. Any thoughts on is this is an RI or something else?

Anyone? Any thoughts?

I don't know if it is an RI based on just that info. What are his temps: cool side, warm side, basking surface and what are you using to measure it with? What is he eating and what supplements are you using? Does he have a UVB light and what kind, how far away?
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

His basking is 105-107 and the cool end I believe is 80-82. I saw it yesterday but can't remember the exact number (just warming up now so it isn't accurate. I use a temp gun and digital gauges.

He has a Reptisun 10.0 tube at the top of his enclosure - 2ft tall.

I feed him every other day with protein (white fish, ground beef, mice/rats, chicken hearts, ground turkey) and fruits (apples, grapes, strawberries, blueberries, oranges - just about anything in season) and some veggies usually squash. I dust with calcium and sometimes herptivite.

I would try increasing the basking surface spot to 115-120. The 10.0 tube ideally should be at least a foot lower, about 10" from the substrate on the floor without any barrier between the lizard and the bulb.

Bumping up the temps should increase his activity and immune system. Increase both temps and UV exposure should increase his appetite as well.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I'm so sorry for taking so long to respond to your question. Laura pretty much covered it all. I just would like to ask you how old the UVA/UVB light is ? How often do you stir up the mulch ? Do you hear him make this noise mostly after he had something to drink and you pick him up ? I feed our Tegus in the bath tub. When they are eating they stop a lot of times to drink something. Then whey they go back to eating and they have their mouth open I can hear that gurgling sound.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I haven't had a chance to reply again myself! Got busy of course. The day I posted the first reply though he stopped making the noise and has not made it since.

The basking does get 115 or so, but typically later in the day - kind of a slow gradual increase. Is that suitable? I would be afraid to put more heat in there and end up baking him. He does go back and forth between hot and cool sides.

Would there be a safe way to mount the UV that close to the floor? He does jump up (his 'time to come out' signal for me) and that bulb would certainly be gone within the day. The UV is about ready to be replaced, but still isn't very old. (I breed beardies too so I always have new ones waiting for their turn!) I was planning on a new enclosure very soon and was going to change it when that happened. I am also hoping to get him out as well now that's its starting to get nice and warm. (And he will tolerate the leash)

I stir up him mulch daily when ai am misting - he doesn't appreciate me messing up his 'work'.

He originally made the noise in his cage, but I didn't notice anything that preceded the noise. Whatever it is/was though appears to have completely vanished.

Maybe he had just had some water to drink????

If the surface gets up to 115 for a good portion of his basking temps, that should be good. I prefer to keep mine a tad warmer. Have you thought about getting a mercury vapor bulb? The sunshine will definitely be appreciated!
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets