Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tired Tegu!

Default Tired Tegu!

Hey hey! I made a post EARLIER about my sleeping Tegu. When I get home after work so it just goes to bed, I dont have time to even see the lizard. I tried to light the terrarium a few hours later, but the Tegu just go out and sunbathe, eat some food and goes to bed. Could it be That it is still inside a small hibernate eventhough it's summer heat and sunny? Is this normal behavior of These lizards? I always want to feed my Tegu in bathtube but i cant because it sleeps when im home. I have to give the lizard food in the cage before I get to work! What to do dear tegufriends? : (

I know a lot of people will disagree with me on this one. But if you want to you can dig him up when you get home. Then turn on the lights. Let him bask while you make his food. Then feed him in the tub. After a while he will get used to this schedule and come out at this time. It worked with our Tegus before.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Okey =) but what if my tegu bites me? Sometimes i use some warmer water and spray on the tegu to wake it up, is that wrong? =)

is it big? Let it bite you with a glove on, it should know that biting you will not affect you.
    https://picasaweb.google.com/1082044...eat=directlink Pictures of Tegu & cage construction

I don't know about the water. I would think it would maybe stress him out. When you put your hand inside the enclosure I would talk to him first so he knows your there. When you dig for him please do it very slowly. When you find him just put him gently ( but still firm enough so can't fall out of your hands ) in your hands and get him out.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

Dont you think he will bite me if i put my hands and search for him under the ''bed''? He is 30 inches, so i dont want him so bite me, it probably will hurt so bad? thank u

It might. My little ones prob wouldn't, but I have a couple of adults that are quite tame, but would be pretty po'ed if you stuck your hand in their burrow.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Sometimes I play around and move some mulch not their burrow but on the other side of the enclosure. Sometimes this would wake them up and they would peek out and get curious. I know people don't like this but my previous tegu tonka I hand fed. He knew his name and would come walking over when I had food. I would sit a few feet away with a plate of food and say his name eventually when I knew his personality I would do it with the food in my hand.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

I'm sorry. I should of been more clear. I wouldn't stick your hand all the way in the mulch. Just move the top mulch around a bit very slow until you see him move. Then wait a little bit and move the mulch on top of him some more. Like Lisa sad most of the time they stick their head out. After he sticks his head out you could use the shirt/sleeve trick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UscbESzNseg

Our videos :

That sounds better! I tried your tips yesterday and he woke up =) but i shaked the house over him carefully also =).