Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New enclosure = different lizard personality

Default New enclosure = different lizard personality

Jazz has been in her new enclosure now for a week and a half. ever since i put her in it, she has been very frightful of me when i open the door (even though i make the same clicking noise i always have with her and move slowly). she huffs an puffs and walks to the back corner underneath the second floor while keeping a close eye on me. she will then lay down near the back wall (probably her "safe zone"). she isnt terrified because she doesnt run, its always a slow and watch. i try to keep the mood very calm relaxing too.

Now i know this happens and also some tegu's get more aggressive. My question is how long will this be happeneing until she gets 100% comfortable? she has never snapped at me, or my g/f, and when i actaly get ahold of her to spend some time with her, or feed her, she relax's and lets me hold her for a few minutes before she wants to get down and explore.

i know this is frowned upon, but i very carefully dug her out of her substrate when she was sleeping today so she can eat (hasnt eaten in 3 days because she is mostly burrowed or sleeping). she was extremely upset (huff and puff big time). i let her bask alittle and then brought her to the tub for a mouse. she didnt want to eat it so i took the mouse out and gave her a warm bath. she was still huffing at me which isnt normal for her. once the warm water reached her she calmed down and layed down and relaxed. i camly stroked her back, poored warm water on her back, and gave her a neck rub whle talking to her and making that clicking noise with my toungue. she then was tolerable with me and didnt huff again.

20 min later, i drained the water and offered the mouse again which she took instantly. i then picked her up with no issues and held her for 5 min and talked to her while petting her and clicking my toungue. i put her in the enclosure on a basking spot and she walked calmly to the back of the enclosure without puffing at me.

i never used the shirt trick because i never had to, but today i threw in 2 shirts (one my g/f wore yesturday and one i wore yesturday). i hope she goes back to her normal self soon.

has anyone had this problem? how long did this go on? i just want my tegu to be comfortable and relaxed. i dont think she will bite because she doesnt get defensive like that. the puffs are more like "ok i dont want u to touch me" lol
    youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/subiedude09

Instagram: subiedude09

B&W Argentine Tegu: Jazz

Citrus Hypo Bearded Dragon: Rango

Sandfire Bearded Dragon: Pyro

she will get used to it soon it will only take about a week or two then she will re aclimate i would keep handling to a low to reduce stress of the move

Quote Originally Posted by Bfb345 View Post
    she will get used to it soon it will only take about a week or two then she will re aclimate i would keep handling to a low to reduce stress of the move
    thank you for your response,

i do move very slowly to try and keep the mood in a relaxing state, but she like gets freaked out. she starts breathing heavy nd then i stop moving to relax her alittle and i talk to her. she doesnt seem to be getting better either and she has been in the new enclosure for a week. maybe she needs alittle more time.

i even set up a chair so she gets comfortable with me while she is in her enclosure basking or w/e. the chair is setup at her window near her basking spot and i just talk to her. she can def hear me because theres a vent rite there. she seems relaxed until i open the door. idk. maybe im overthinking it and am inpatient lol. again, thanks for ur response!

I have never heard the clicking of the tongue trick. How come this works?
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by Herpgirl View Post
    I have never heard the clicking of the tongue trick. How come this works?
    its no trick. i started clicking my toungue to her the day i got her (just like u would do if u seen a dog or cat and walked over to it without trying to scare it). i'd stick my hand in and let her taste/smell me, id click my toungue and talk to her. when i talk to her, i use a realy soft tone and mention her name alot (ex: hey Jazz "click click click", who's a pretty Jazz, hey Jazz "click click") . the the clicking is more loud and realy quick. since i've had her she knew that the noise ment it was ok. i even had her walking onto the palm of my hand to be handled (when she was in her 40gal). she was about 5months old and 22" when she first willingly walked onto my hand. i just gotta start from point blank again or wait for her to fully get settled in i guess lol. she is now 7 months old and 27".

Quote Originally Posted by subiedude09 View Post
    its no trick. i started clicking my toungue to her the day i got her (just like u would do if u seen a dog or cat and walked over to it without trying to scare it). i'd stick my hand in and let her taste/smell me, id click my toungue and talk to her. when i talk to her, i use a realy soft tone and mention her name alot (ex: hey Jazz "click click click", who's a pretty Jazz, hey Jazz "click click") . the the clicking is more loud and realy quick. since i've had her she knew that the noise ment it was ok. i even had her walking onto the palm of my hand to be handled (when she was in her 40gal). she was about 5months old and 22" when she first willingly walked onto my hand. i just gotta start from point blank again or wait for her to fully get settled in i guess lol. she is now 7 months old and 27".
    Thanks I was not sure if it was a noise tegus liked or responded too.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by Herpgirl View Post
    Thanks I was not sure if it was a noise tegus liked or responded too.
    my gu seemed to be curious in the noise. nothing thats "trick" worthy though lol

Quote Originally Posted by subiedude09 View Post
    my gu seemed to be curious in the noise. nothing thats "trick" worthy though lol
    It's funny how we get to know things are tegus like.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

Take your tongue against hers and she will be more relaxed he he

Quote Originally Posted by Crippa View Post
    Take your tongue against hers and she will be more relaxed he he
    lol, i think im all set with that