Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Tegu House

Default New Tegu House

So I figured I'd post up my Tegu enclosure thats in the process of being built as I've never seen one like it or built with the intentions of mine. So I'm building a 7x3x3 enclosure and because the door I'm going through is only 29" wide I'm building this enclosure to come apart easily with taking a few screws out.

So The Materials used is

5x 8x4 1/2inch birch 40$ each
    10x 2x3x8ft like 3$ each
    Rustoleum Black paint for the outside 27$
    Amos Brick and Board Liquid Rubber White 155$
    IMG_0805.jpgIMG_0804.jpgIMG_0811.jpgIMG_0812.jpgIMG_0813.jpg
    Blue tegu expected soon!

Very nice . I don't want to tell you what to do but I recommend putting in a Vent that you can close a bit or open up all the way ( link below ). I also would seal the inside with a water proof sealant so the wood doesn't rot because of the humidity and put some silicone in the seams and I wouldn't put glass doors in there. Tegus are very strong and your Tegu could break the glass. Acrylic/Plexiglass is good.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TruAire-4...6#.UZSuqUow3hE
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Yeah I just painted the cage last night so I havent gotten the vent covers on yet, but I have them! they're 10x4 and 10x6 covers. The inside will be coated in approx. 3 coats of liquid rubber I just have one more 2x3 to put inside before I can paint the inside. The liquid rubber is amazing stuff, People use it to make Fish tanks out of so I know it'll protect the wood quite well, it's also non-toxic, and voc free.

Biggest thing for me now is finding either cypress mulch or a substitute, seems no one around here carries it besides pet stores and I dont wish to spend 500$ on substrate.
    Blue tegu expected soon!

I recommend either Spaghnum peat moss or simply a top soil or top soil/sand mix. Better than cypress mulch in my honest opinion.

looking good!! im using peat moss and hemlock mulch as my substrate in my 7x3.5 enclosure. 1 big bag of peat (3square ft) and 5 bags of hemlock mulch (2 square ft each bag) made about a solid 7" of substrate all around and holds humidity beautifuly. ambient temp stays at 88-90 with 65% humidity. i spray it down once a day and mix it with my hand every other day and it is always moist. i went with this mix because i also had a very difficult time finding cypress mulch. i just put my gu in her new enclosure a week and a half ago and she seems to love this substrate mix compared to her old forest floor (cypress mulch) and eco-earth mix ...... well goodluck on it! post more pics when done!
    youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/subiedude09

Instagram: subiedude09

B&W Argentine Tegu: Jazz

Citrus Hypo Bearded Dragon: Rango

Sandfire Bearded Dragon: Pyro

Yeah Substrate is the last thing I need, Seems even hemlock is tough to find here in Oregon, so I'll probably go with a mixture of peat moss, topsoil, and sand. Now Would regular Play sand be suitable?

and any recommendations for what topsoil? I feel like all the miracle grow top soils would be harmful.
    Blue tegu expected soon!

Quote Originally Posted by mwheeler View Post
    Yeah Substrate is the last thing I need, Seems even hemlock is tough to find here in Oregon, so I'll probably go with a mixture of peat moss, topsoil, and sand. Now Would regular Play sand be suitable?

and any recommendations for what topsoil? I feel like all the miracle grow top soils would be harmful.
    organic topsoil. u dont want any additives.
    youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/subiedude09

Instagram: subiedude09

B&W Argentine Tegu: Jazz

Citrus Hypo Bearded Dragon: Rango

Sandfire Bearded Dragon: Pyro

Well got the first coat of liquid rubber on, stuff is kind of nice to work with. Only two more coats and then I'm quite close to a finished cage. Got my cage doors on order, nice 1/4 inch plexiglass.
    Blue tegu expected soon!

id kill for your shop and all the toys in the background

Default Re: New Tegu House

Looking good