Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PapaBeans enclosure build

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBean View Post
    Thanks everyone! So the doors caused me the most trouble because when I cut out the holes for them I realized the weren't actually square. So cutting the 1/4" Plexiglass was a pain. I got it from Lowes so they cut most of it off but when I got down to needing only and eighth or sixteenth cut they wouldn't do it. So I had to take a jigsaw and make some of my own modifications. Needless to say there are now some uneven edges and gaps but they are hard to see. Drilling the holes in the glass was also a complication. I found a bit that worked you just have to drill slowly and keep backing out to get rid of all the melted Plexiglass. As for the lights my brother is an electrician so he told me everything to buy and taught me how to wire it all together so I could customize it. All of the lights are set up on a timer and my hygrotherm that controls the humidity and temp will turn off the optional basking spot if it gets too hot and will turn on my humidifier when the humidity drops too low. As soon as I get a hole cut out for the humidifier. I'll try and add more pictures of the drill bit and humidifier if I can.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    That's good to know about the doors, I think that's the part I am least looking forward to building my cage :P Did you build your cage all in the same room? It looks like I am going to have to build mine in pieces and assemble the pieces in the room where it's going, wasn't sure if you would have any advice on that. Thanks!
    1.0.0 Black & White Argentine Tegu-Kronos
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake
    0.0.1 Colombian Red-Tailed Boa

Also did you build a frame for it or did you just screw the plywood together and how strong is it? Sorry for all the questions! Thanks!
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

Quote Originally Posted by reptidude View Post
    Also did you build a frame for it or did you just screw the plywood together and how strong is it? Sorry for all the questions! Thanks!
    Questions aren't a problem at all haha I like being able to help someone else. I did not build a frame and so far it seems really strong, I'm just not going to put anything too heavy in the middle on top of it. 3/4" oak hardwood plywood is pretty strong from the looks of it. As for where I assembled it, that is kind of whatever works best for you. For me I have a deck and a walled in gazebo in my backyard. My room is in the basement and there is a door leading to the backyard from my room. So I assembled the cage on my deck, then I took it down to my gazebo and set it on a table because that was the only indoor place I had available to work on it. I do however have 5 siblings who helped me carry it around when I needed too so if it's only you then building it in parts would probably be best. I did all the sanding, staining, and installed the vents in my gazebo. From there I took it to my room where I installed the doors and the lights inside. I still need to drill a hole in the side to put a pvc pipe in for the humidifier.

Oh and I did use gorilla wood glue when screwing it together. But be careful not to get that crap on your hands or clothes, I ruined a good pair of shorts and I hand to sand the glue off my hands because I work in a restaurant and I can't serve people food with glued dirt all over my hands lol. Also when you glue it I suggest having two people with you to 1. hold the boards while you drill them together and 2. wipe the excess glue off the inside and outside because it oozes out and sanding it off is a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaBean View Post
    Questions aren't a problem at all haha I like being able to help someone else. I did not build a frame and so far it seems really strong, I'm just not going to put anything too heavy in the middle on top of it. 3/4" oak hardwood plywood is pretty strong from the looks of it. As for where I assembled it, that is kind of whatever works best for you. For me I have a deck and a walled in gazebo in my backyard. My room is in the basement and there is a door leading to the backyard from my room. So I assembled the cage on my deck, then I took it down to my gazebo and set it on a table because that was the only indoor place I had available to work on it. I do however have 5 siblings who helped me carry it around when I needed too so if it's only you then building it in parts would probably be best. I did all the sanding, staining, and installed the vents in my gazebo. From there I took it to my room where I installed the doors and the lights inside. I still need to drill a hole in the side to put a pvc pipe in for the humidifier.

Oh and I did use gorilla wood glue when screwing it together. But be careful not to get that crap on your hands or clothes, I ruined a good pair of shorts and I hand to sand the glue off my hands because I work in a restaurant and I can't serve people food with glued dirt all over my hands lol. Also when you glue it I suggest having two people with you to 1. hold the boards while you drill them together and 2. wipe the excess glue off the inside and outside because it oozes out and sanding it off is a pain.
    Ok good to know. I'm trying to make it a 8x4x3 cage and put a 8x4x2 cage above/connected to the top for my Red-tailed boa so I'm not sure if I need a frame or could get away without one. And I'm roping my roommate into helping me with this one cuz he used to work for his dad doing remodeling and after that he was an electrician so he can do the lights lol. Not sure if I can glue it because I want to make it somewhat able to be disassembled for moving purposes because more likely than not I'm going to move over my tegus lifetime at some point. Do you think the glue is necessary or just a good option? I know gorilla glue is crazy strong so I feel like disassembling after using it would be next to impossible. Thanks!
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

To be honest with you it's been a while that I used a UVA/UVB tube. So I don't remember how far away it should be from your Tegu. Do you still have the Package ? It will tell you how far it needs to be. Or you can look it up online. I'm sorry I can't help you on this one. I use the Zoo Med Power Sun. It's all in one ( heat, UVA/UVB ).
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by reptidude View Post
    Ok good to know. I'm trying to make it a 8x4x3 cage and put a 8x4x2 cage above/connected to the top for my Red-tailed boa so I'm not sure if I need a frame or could get away without one. And I'm roping my roommate into helping me with this one cuz he used to work for his dad doing remodeling and after that he was an electrician so he can do the lights lol. Not sure if I can glue it because I want to make it somewhat able to be disassembled for moving purposes because more likely than not I'm going to move over my tegus lifetime at some point. Do you think the glue is necessary or just a good option? I know gorilla glue is crazy strong so I feel like disassembling after using it would be next to impossible. Thanks!
    I would not glue it if you plan on taking it apart. The thing with disassembling it a lot is that you wont be able to seal it completely. What I mean is you won't be able to caulk or glue the pieces of wood together. That will allow water to seep through and leak to the outside. If water seeps down through the dirt (lets say he dumps his water dish over) it can go down through the dirt and out the seams of the bottom of the cage. And you would not know until it was too late. If I were you I would find a way you could maybe build the cage in two halve that can be attached together. This will let you glue the wood together and caulk it. I'm no engineer but I'm sure there would be a way for you to make it so they can connect together without water leaking through the seam that they are connected with.

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    To be honest with you it's been a while that I used a UVA/UVB tube. So I don't remember how far away it should be from your Tegu. Do you still have the Package ? It will tell you how far it needs to be. Or you can look it up online. I'm sorry I can't help you on this one. I use the Zoo Med Power Sun. It's all in one ( heat, UVA/UVB ).

Yeah I think the max is 12", I double checked and it is the correct distance away. If I got a zoo med power sun with the uvb bulb, would that be too much uvb for him and hurt him? I honestly forgot all about the power suns and I should have gone with them instead. Probably would have saved me a lot of money.

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    I also have the same question about UV lighting and tube vs. power sun. Is the power sun supposed to be a certain distance to like 12" or does it matter? And you use it as his basking bulb right? Also do they need more than just one UVB bulb on one side of the enclosure or not? Thanks!

PapaBean I think I could caulk it because I remember when I've done stuff with my dad an caulk was pretty easy to get off, I maybe wrong but I thought that was the case. The gorilla glue is definitely a no go at this point lol
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

Default Re: PapaBeans enclosure build

True I never have actually tried getting caulk off before. Maybe acetone gets it off or something.

Here is some information on the bulb I have been using for years now. If you shop around a bit you can get it cheaper than than at reptilesupply.com. I just posted the link because of the information.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-PowerS.../dp/B0002AQDJ0

http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=340

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl