Thread: Is he becoming a fatty?

Default Is he becoming a fatty?

Hi, typical question here I guess. Sebastián is one year and one month old. His (or her) sides are starting to spread out and I can't tell if he's getting unhealthily fat or if it's just that natural tegu belly.
    I feed him almost every day: scrambled eggs, mouse (once a week, but they're a little too small now), raw chicken. No longer crickets because they are too small of fare. Should I alter his diet some? Attempt to add plants of some kind?

20130520_155356.jpg

20130520_155335.jpg

Thanks!

Also, follow-up question: if he eats raw chicken, does he not get salmonella all over himself? How can I prevent or wash him properly?

Default Is he becoming a fatty?

He is not fat. You have to look at his tail tegu do not get fat at their belly.
    And samonella are bacteria in the stomage and the blood. You can't wash it off. I always give raw, never have problems.

Quolibet is right. I give our five Tegus and our black throat monitor raw meat. I just feed them in the bath tub and then rinse them off before I let them roam around or put them back into their enclosure. I also give our Tegus kisses on their cheek or on their nose and haven't gotten sick yet. To be honest with you I'm more worried about catching salmonella or other things from fast food places. I have seen people handle money and then the food right after that.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Oh good, that's a big relief. Thanks!

Your welcome .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I also feed raw to my dogs and kiss and cuddle and I have never had a problem.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

I wouldn't worry about fat in a growing tegu. I also feed raw and then wash them off when they get meat feet and meat face
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

How cute are those spots white tummy with black spots on the bottom and black spots with white polka dots on top. Weight wise he looks good to me, eventually they develop a bit of a tummy, just make sure it doesn't get excessive young or not. Like everything else we all have different opinions so you'll get different answers about his weight but truth be told a lot of captive reptiles both young and old are over weight. That extra weight can affect young tegus just the same as older ones.
    I keep mine on the slim side, I go by:
    Plump tail base. They can only store so much fat in their tail before it starts to build up in other places.

Their abdomen is not dragging on the ground when they walk. Sometimes after a heavy meal I'm fine with that, but any other time no dragging.Unless they're doing it on purpose.

Neck definition between their head (jowls for older males) and shoulders / chest. Shouldn't just be a roll from the head to the chest, pretty much from any angle especially with males and jowls there should still be a tuck between the jowls / head to the shoulders /chest.

I've seen pics of tegus with rolls that extend from their neck, down their back and into their tail, both standing and laying down which is just ridiculous. But unfortunatly not surprising since some people care more about how big their animals are.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

Thanks! Yes I love his black polka-dot pants.

As you can see he is going to shed his belly. He's been dragging his belly around recently, on purpose, I think because it's itchy? He's only begun doing that once the shedding color came on. Is this normal?