Thread: Can tegus eat dried fruits?

Default Can tegus eat dried fruits?

Got a year old giant extreme from varnyard. can he eat dried fruits, dried mango specifically?
    jesus owned a tegu

Considering that most dried fruit is preserved through the addition of extra sugar and sulphates, I would ask you - do you honestly think it is safe?

Well I bought organic and no added sugar ones. Also, I read somewhere that if you soak it in water it is ok. But it didnt come from a reputable source so I decided to come on here and ask. I am gonna go with no, I dont think it would be good, but then again I didnt think it would be ok to give your tegu wheat bread but people apparently do that all the time.

I havent given him any yet, but I actually went to sprouts and bought no sugar added and sulfate free raisins. So would it be ok if it doesnt have sulfates or added sugar?
    jesus owned a tegu

If it's "naturally" dried, I don't think there would be a problem.

As for the bread, most people seem to be unaware that lizards cannot digest grains or complex carbohydrates, these just ferment in their guts giving them stomach aches/cramps.

tupinambis took the words out of my mouth. Bread also has yeast in it. Which is not good for the stomach either.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

ya the bread thing always seemed a little weird for me. I myself dont even eat bread or gluten, so I dont really wanna give it to my tegu. I also know that a fruits composition changes after its been dried. I think Ill call and do some research and see exactly what changes the fruit has undergone after its been dried. Thank you so much tupinambis and txrepgirl for your input. I am definitely starting to get the hang of things... tegu wise
    jesus owned a tegu

Your welcome .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl