Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who houses a male and a female together

Default Who houses a male and a female together

I was curious who does it and what their experiences are with it. I know if I put my male beardie with a female he would constantly try to mate is this what happens with tegus?
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

Mac's the only tegu I have atm, but when I younger a had a pair (male red, female blue) that I raised together from hatchlings. They were fine together until the male got to be about Mac's size, and then he was constantly trying to mate the female... to the point I had to separate them (her neck was getting cut up from all the mating biting). They had a large enclosure too (a converted entire bedroom), but it wasn't enough space apparently. Not sure if this experience was the norm or just what happened w/mine, so take it for what its worth.
    MacGyver's YouTube channel @ http://www.youtube.com/user/todeyius

Thanks my other tegus I had pretty much free roamed 90 percent of the time each had access to their own enclosure to sleep or just to bury or bask when they felt like it. Loo loo my female is to small for this but that is my plan. I guess if I got a male the free roaming would have to be under my watch if they were out together. I was thinking about using the same enclosure until sexual maturity was reached then free roaming but I would only let them free roam together when I watched.I was hoping to have them use the same enclosure until they hit mating age.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

I had my Black and White male with my boyfriend's black and white female for a good bit, and Zeus would try to mate with her, but he never hurt Athena. However, she is too young to mate. Other than that, they were fine together. They would curl up together under a rock and have a great life.

Loo loo my female for the three weeks I have had her never came out to bask. I got Cosmo and they can see each other from he enclosure now everyday she is out basking looking at his enclosure pretty weird. She still refuses any food except turkey but hopefully she will soon she has not had turkey in a few days but I am starting to cave.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

Yes, they would try to mate and he would bug her to death.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I only had a female and a male in one enclosure when they were babies. They were brother and sister ( two different pairs ). They always got along and cuddled up . But when they were a few months old I separated them because I didn't want them inbreeding. I haven't tried to do it with the adults.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl View Post
    Yes, they would try to mate and he would bug her to death.
    I spoke with Johnny from tegu terra who said if she was not sexually mature he would not pay any attention to her. I don't know if that is true or not.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

I don't know anything about that. Sorry.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I know I already answered this on tegu-phile but I have my arg b/w's together, Rex and Bella. They were not raised together, Rex spent 8yrs living solo and I think he really enjoys her company. She only likes him, hates other females. They sleep together, bask together, they even eat together with no problems. Now that its breeding season, he is pestering her so I let her roam around the reptile room to get a break. I might have to separate them until he calms down because she is not wanting to breed.