Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How much wrinkle in the arm?

Default How much wrinkle in the arm?

Hi, I'm a first time tegu owner. Had 2 bearded dragons before.
    One thing I notice that's different in my tegu, is that the arm is not as full and muscle-ey as in the dragon. I don't have any other tegu to compare it to, and I'm hoping this is just me being paranoid. My tegu, Sebastián, tends to scoot along on his belly when he walks. Maybe it's just because he's been shedding? I give him about 5 or 6 times a week, scrambled eggs, raw chicken thigh, thawed dead mice.
    Thanks

leg3.jpg
    leg2.jpg
    leg1.jpg
    20130520_155356.jpg
    20130520_155335.jpg

Also I use a regular UVA heat bulb and a florescent UVB lamp. I also had him on Rep-cal calcium/vitamin D until about a couple weeks ago when I stopped feeding him crickets, but I suppose I should start powdering his other food as well.

As far as the wrinkly limbs go, they look normal (at least in the photo where you aren't pinching them). If, however, after you pinch up the skin like that and it doesn't relax back to normal after a minute, then it's likely a sign of dehydration.

With scrambled eggs and raw chicken, yes you should be using calcium supplement with them (~ 1 tablespoon per 1lb of food). The whole mice are fine without calcium supplementation.

A healthy, active tegu should walk with the body lifted up off the ground. If it doesn't, then it might mean your tegu is lazy, or even that it has poor muscle development or early signs of hypocalcemia. Just for interest's sake, you might want to get your tegu examined by a qualified veterinarian.

Agreed with above

That's good to hear about the arm. Yes it seems healthy and returns after pinching. And he seems healthy besides the dragging.
    The more I've read, the more I think this is a telltale calcium deficiency. I've only noticed this behavior for about a week or two, ever since he was starting to shed. I've recently been feeding more chicken and less mouse, and just realized that without the powdered crickets, he must be taking in a lot less calcium. Looking into a vet visit, but for now I'm going to up the calcium intake as much as I can. I'm looking everywhere for the liquid calcium supplement... Petco doesn't carry. I live in LA, does anyone know a good place to get liquid calcium?
    Thanks

Never heard of the liquid calcium I believe most people would frown apon most supplements and I would just go with the powder and use it on any meats that do not have natural calcium such as ground turkey and chicken if it doesn't have bones ground in

Actually, liquid calcium is highly recommended over powdered as it is more readily assimilated.

I also just ordered a new UVB bulb as the old one was past expired. Going to take him out sunbathing right now to try to metabolize the calcium. The only place I found that carries the liquid calcium, besides the vet, who won't sell it to me OTC, is out of stock until Thursday. So I'll just feed him powdered mice until then

Ok I had no clue the stuff existed lol.

It's very common, liquid calcium