Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Tegu

Default Considering a Tegu

So I have been looking to get a lizard ever since I took care of my buddy's bearded dragon for 8 months while he was studying abroad in Europe (lucky him). I found out I really liked the big guy and was looking to get a lizard myself, the reason I am attracted to a tegu is there temperament and intelligence, obviously there temperament depends how much time you put into handling them. I know that they do get quite large and they need a cage in the range of 8X4X4 when full grown. I have a couple questions about the different kinds of tegus. For instance, whats the difference between the Black and White tegu vs. the Red tegu, are there temperaments different, does one get bigger or smaller than the other? When are hatchlings available? I've been looking around to get one but their doesn't seem to be any for sale right now. I'm guessing since they hibernate they breed in the spring and the eggs hatch mid-late summer? Also, where is a good place to get one? I'll check with my local reptile shop and see if he can get a hatchling in for me but like i stated earlier I'm not quite sure when hatchlings are available. Thanks for the help!

Hi. I already replied to your other Thread earlier. I recommend the Breeder's TY Park and Tegu Terra. You also can check out some other places to get one ( links below ).

I ordered a baby red Tegu from him last year for a friend of mine and we are very happy with the Tegu and the Seller.

https://www.facebook.com/typherp/photos

http://www.teguterra.com/

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...play.php?f=489

http://market.kingsnake.com/index.php?cat=115
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Great, thanks for the links. Did you just message Ty Parks on FB about what tegus he had available?

You are welcome . Any time. No, I didn't. Do you have a Facebook Account ? If yes, you could pm him and ask him. If he has any maybe he could email you some photos of the Parents .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

Ty doesnt have any hatchlings yet, but soon. They will start appearing for sale places in july-aug. Everyone is still breeding and laying right now. I highly recommend Ty as well, great guy great tegus!

There really are no size or temperament differences between reds and black & whites, they all grow at their own rate and have individual personalities. Some people will say that reds get larger and some say that reds are a bit feistier too. I don't think thats really true enough to label them with that but reds do seem to have a little more trouble shedding and require a bit more fruit in their diet. So really it comes down to your preference in color. I own both and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    You are welcome . Any time. No, I didn't. Do you have a Facebook Account ? If yes, you could pm him and ask him. If he has any maybe he could email you some photos of the Parents .
    Yes I do have a Facebook so I'll PM him and ask and a picture of the parents would be great! I'll contact him and see what's going on and when he thinks he'll have some!

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeCharmr728 View Post
    Ty doesnt have any hatchlings yet, but soon. They will start appearing for sale places in july-aug. Everyone is still breeding and laying right now. I highly recommend Ty as well, great guy great tegus!

There really are no size or temperament differences between reds and black & whites, they all grow at their own rate and have individual personalities. Some people will say that reds get larger and some say that reds are a bit feistier too. I don't think thats really true enough to label them with that but reds do seem to have a little more trouble shedding and require a bit more fruit in their diet. So really it comes down to your preference in color. I own both and love them.
    That's actually a perfect time line if that's when he'll have them. I'm going to build the cage in the next few weeks so I have everything ready and I'll have my vacations in June and mid July so after July I'll be able to care for a tegu without interruption which will help us get acquainted so to speak I am definitely torn on what color to get :( I would like all three, black and white, red and blue but that's just not possible for me right now, I would ask what color you recommend but if they are all generally the same just different colors it comes down to my preference and unfortunately I'm one of those people who has trouble making up there mind. This might be the wrong place to ask this and please redirect me to the appropriate place but can you start a hatchling in a 8x4x4 enclosure or should I start with something like a 40 gal breeder? Some one said build the cage it will need for it when it's full grown and you can put the hatchling in there but wouldn't that stress it? I know for snakes it would but it may be different for lizards, I haven't found anything that states it one way or another. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by reptidude; 06-05-2013 at 08:18 PM.

I know someone in the other forum put a hatcling straight into the adult enclosure and he hid a lot, so filling the enclosure with all kinds of hides, logs, fake plants etc to make him feel really secure would be very important. I personally prefer to put hatchlings in 4x2 wood enclosures, Im just not a fan of tanks. and if you want to go the tank route, a 75gal would be better than a 40. They grow incredibly fast! but some hatchlings will hibernate so they go down around oct/nov down til march/april.... each tegu has their own way so some hibernate and some dont. so if yours hibernates- it wont grow as fast as one that didnt and is the same age. so lets say yours does, a 4x2 make last that whole 1st year. if yours doesnt hibernate, then that than 4x2 may need to be upgraded within 4-6months.

Another thing is that you could ask Ty for pictures of the parents, to see which ones you like best. Tegus have a large color range. Arg b/w's can be darker or lighter, reds can be that deep firey red where theres almost no pattern or very red and white speckled, and well blues are just gorgeous in any way they come lol.

If you want to you can put a divider in the big enclosure and just move the divider as he/she grows. Like SnakeCharmr728 mentioned I recommend putting a lot of hides in there, too ( if you don't use a divider ).

Our videos :