Thread: How long should Tegu bask for anyone know?

Default How long should Tegu bask for anyone know?

Just wondering how long my tegu should be basking for?

Let me ask first, what are the temps in the enclosure and UVB provided? That makes a difference.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

temps are 85-95 Hotside with a Basking temp of 110-115 (have a big slate rock that absorbs the heat aswell) He has two powersun 160 watt in the basking area, cool side is around 80-85. today he basked for quite some time, but after he eats he'll bask for only 10 minutes or so then go into his hide for to sleep.

Not all Tegus bask for the same amount of time. Some of our Tegus bask more on one day than the others and then a bit less the next. Some of ours go to sleep, too, after they ate something and the others still bask for a while.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

You really don't have a lot of control over how long your tegu basks for, they will decide that for themselves. It all depends on their needs and the temperature of the basking area.

Here's another thing to think about on the topic of time spent basking. Most people set up their UVB lights in the basking area, so the basking area and the UVB area are the same. For the most part, tegus will bask until they have reached a desired core temperature, then they can get on with their day in other areas where it is cooler. Because of this and because you have the UVB in the basking area, you can somewhat control the amount of time that your tegu spends in the UVB area by adjusting the basking temperature. If you are concerned that your tegu isn't getting enough exposure to UVB, you could slightly lower the basking temperature so your tegu will have to spend more time there and thus more time under UVB light.

Quote Originally Posted by dpjm View Post
    Here's another thing to think about on the topic of time spent basking. Most people set up their UVB lights in the basking area, so the basking area and the UVB area are the same. For the most part, tegus will bask until they have reached a desired core temperature, then they can get on with their day in other areas where it is cooler. Because of this and because you have the UVB in the basking area, you can somewhat control the amount of time that your tegu spends in the UVB area by adjusting the basking temperature. If you are concerned that your tegu isn't getting enough exposure to UVB, you could slightly lower the basking temperature so your tegu will have to spend more time there and thus more time under UVB light.

I guess you could say I do not agree with this method. I personally bask my tegus towards 130f degrees. You want short basking periods. Bask, roam, sleep, bask, roam, sleep and repeat. Extended periods of time basking is what creates burns, especially when not using cluster lighting or having a lower ambient temp. Even here, go outside on a 90 degree day, and temp gun the ground you will see that it is well above the 105-115 typically recommended surface temps. Many people are beginning to use high basking temps with great success. If your tegu is basking for hours at a time then its taking too long for him to raise his body temps.

I agree with SnakeCharmr's input on the subject. My tegus bask for short periods of time, then roam, eat, etc. then repeat. If they aren't doing that they are sleeping. If your tegu is basking for long periods of time your cage is too cold and your basking spot too low.