Thread: New Tegu Interaction

Default New Tegu Interaction

I just acquired a young tegu from its previous owner. He is beautiful, healthy looking, and already rather tame. I am wondering how to interact with the animal in order to build an enriching bond with my lizard. (Also name suggestions are welcome)

I got mine earlier this week and feel I've made good progress letting it to roam in a room. Eventually she came up to me to check me out. I've also put my hand in the enclosure moving substrate around so she got used to my hand. She now lets me pet her no problem. She's even came up to me and rubbed her nose while I was doing that. I've also done the bathtub trick which has seemed to work well too.

I can honestly say I've put in at least 2-3 hours a day.

I also like to go in the bathroom with a book and let them wander around they eventually get curious and will check you out.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

I've been doing a lot in the bathroom with mine. She eventually crawls in the shower with me and I close the doors. She walks all over me. In less than a week I can put my hand in the cage and she crawls out on me. To my credit, I've been working at least 2-3 hours a day with her since I got her.

I am going to try more bathroom time whenever my room mates aren't around. I've been making the mistake of taking him out and feeding him shortly afterward. Immediately after being fed all he wants to do is sleep.. but not on or near me :P So quality time together has been limited last three or four days.

All together he is really pretty chill.. he tolerates being pet and isn't really scared of me at all. He doesn't like being picked up too much (surprise surprise). Main problem is that he seems to prefer to be left alone and doesn't always know what is food and what isn't (previous owner fed in the cage/hand fed/fed live, but I'm working on it.)

20130607_134225.jpg20130609_104647.jpg20130612_110945.jpg20130615_111939.jpg

I was told he is an extreme/chacoan. However, he's very dark.. but it is my understanding that they're not all very white? He' very large.. at least 30'' at about 9 months. Though it is also my understanding that not all extremes/chacoans are very large also :X

Anyhoo it doesn't matter much to me what he is just curious on others' opinions!