Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Roach Colony

Default Roach Colony

I'm thinking about starting a roach colony for a tegu hatchling an had a couple questions. First what size roach is appropriate for a tegu hatchling? I've seen 1/8-1/4 which are small, 1/2-3/4 medium and 1+ are the large. How long does it take for a colony to be self sustaining? And what is the recommended roach for a tegu? I know about hissing and dubia roaches but are there others out there that would be better? Also, how long do they generally take to reach adult breeding age? Thanks for the help!
    1.0.0 Black & White Argentine Tegu-Kronos
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake
    0.0.1 Colombian Red-Tailed Boa

I raise Dubia, and I have always fed Ssra 1/2" and up - he was 11" when I got him. As for the colony being self-sustaining, it really depends on how much you are feeding. Ssra would normally eat 25-30 dubia per day. If you have probably 50 females I would say it would be self sustaining within a few months. Eventually, the dubia adults will be too small to interest them. Ssra is 32" now, and he can eat the adult males, although he likes them pre-adult molt. I am looking at getting some hissers to raise for him for next year. Roaches are very similar nutritionally speaking, so the breed isn't as important as the size they reach. It will take 3-5 months for dubia to reach adult phase - keep them 90-95 degrees and they grow faster - and they breed best at that temp also. I hope I covered everything =) If you need any more help, just let me know.

How big of a tub/environment do you need for a colony? also, is it easy to sex roaches visually or is it random what you're feeding? Thanks!
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

I use sterilite tubs (I would start with an 18 gallon) and paper egg crates. Here is a link that has a picture for sexing them - it is really easy. http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...a-roaches.html

Great thanks! One more quick question, can dubia roaches bite? I'm wondering if I should buy feeding tongs or if I can just grab them with my hand.
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

Sorry, not last question lol how much do you feed them? how often do you change water crystals and clean out the cage? Should you remove dead roaches or will they take care of that? thanks!
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

I just created this Thread on some helpful videos. Hope they help.

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...0615#post90615
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Those are excellent! Thank you very much
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

Quote Originally Posted by reptidude View Post
    Sorry, not last question lol how much do you feed them? how often do you change water crystals and clean out the cage? Should you remove dead roaches or will they take care of that? thanks!
    Did you find out the answers to these? I have been wondering the same things..

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler137 View Post
    Did you find out the answers to these? I have been wondering the same things..
    Yea the care sheet i got from ABDragons was real helpful. Basiclly it looks like a fill a dish with chow and use however many water crystals depending on the size of your colony. These should be replaced every week or so. If you feed them fruits an veggies you should take them out after 48 Hrs. the colony should be cleaned out every 3-4 months. They said leave them be other than to feed/water them once a week
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake