Thread: Tegu Sleeping Late

Default Tegu Sleeping Late

I have owned my tegu for 2 weeks as of today, and each day since I acquired him he has came out of his hide a little bit later. I did push forward his light cycle by a couple of hours over a period of days, but he has continued to get up later each day since then. Lights come on around 9:15 am and today I believe he got up around 1 pm. Despite getting up later he seems to go to bed around 6 pm daily.

He was born around October and could possibly be an import? I'm not sure. He was one of the last tegus from varnyard and the guy I got him from received him last oct or sept and he was still a baby (about 8 inches). If he was imported then wouldn't this be the time of year he would want to start hibernating? While he is up he has a voracious appetite and he is very active. Perhaps he's just getting used to new surroundings? Or he's going through a growth spurt and needs more sleep?

Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!
    Last edited by heatha; 06-21-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Their schedules change and they have lazy days or weeks just like we do. How long they take to acclimate varies from one to the next and some can take longer than others. It's just something you have to work through and be patient with. It could be a number of reasons why he's sleeping more lately but if it came from Bobby then it's not likely to be an import. Check the temps in his enclosure and the devices you use to keep track of and measure temps to make sure everything's where it should be and working properly.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

bubblz took the words out of my mouth. Two out of six ( now five ) of our Tegu's had a time where they woke up at 2am and stayed up until about 8am to 10am. I used to work on my computer at night. So when they heard me they woke up. After a while it went back to normal ( them getting up at the right time ). I wouldn't worry about it. The good thing is that your Tegu is active and is eating well.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Ah, great. Thanks bubblz and txrepgirl. Temperatures and humidity seem to be fine, so perhaps he is resting more because he is receiving more interaction/stimulation than he was previously used to (in that department things seem to be going well and progress is being made.)

I appreciate the input!

Regards,
    Alex

Your welcome. I'm glad the interaction is going well so far.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl