Thread: Red Tegu with shedding/weight issues

Default Red Tegu with shedding/weight issues

My red tegu, Gizmo, hasn't been doing well lately. She has really bad shedding issues, she's overweight and she isn't eating. The odd thing is, I can pinpoint the time when things started to decline. It was around October 2012. It wasn't sudden, just gradual. But I can't for the life of me think of anything that changed for her at that time. Until recently I haven't had good equipment to get accurate measurements of her environment, just those cheap $30 hygrometers from reptile stores. So I've been left to guess at ambient temperatures and humidity. However, I picked up a Kestrel 4000 weather meter and left it in her enclosure to record hourly ambient temperature and relative humidity.

I put the data in an excel spreadsheet and took some high resolution photos of her so you can see what her skin is like. Here's a link to the files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yimhdmazye5ciu2/fAH8ppGB1S

As I've mentioned on these forums before, I've taken her to the vet, but he didn't have any suggestions. The vet I took her to came widely recommended as knowledgeable about reptiles. I've been spraying her cage daily to keep humidity up and even put some moss under her log. Unfortunately after putting the moss under her log she refused to sleep there anymore. She also hasn't been eating. I've offered her mice, horn worms, silk worms, super worms, mango, raspberries and blueberries and she's refused them all. She hasn't eaten in about 10 days. The last time she ate, it was a bit of mango, but I had to open her mouth and put it in. I'd like to stress that I didn't force her mouth open, she allowed me to open it and place the mango in her mouth without resistance.

Despite her lack of eating, she hasn't lost any weight and still looks quite fat.

From the data I collected, ambient temperatures range from as low as 72F at night to 87F at midday. Relative humidity drops during the day due to the heat until I spray. Lights come on at 7:30AM and humidity falls to as low as 45% by noon. Then I spray and it peaks around 85%. Night time humidity tends to range between high 70s to mid 80s. She has two basking spots. One is an MVB over some rocks. Temperature is approximately 118.5F. She tends not to stay under there too long, probably cause it's really hot. I may consider moving the light a little further away. Her second basking spot is just a heat lamp, no UV. It hovers over a water dish to help with humidity. This secondary spot has a temperature of 107F. She spends more time here than on the rocks.

I've tried a lot of different things to help with shedding. I bathe her at least once a week, sometimes twice, for 45 minutes. Afterwards I've tried applying mineral oil. I've also tried using A+D ointment. Both have had minimal effect.

I'm not really sure what to do now. I've considered spraying twice a day to keep humidity higher and more consistent. I've also considered adhering moss to the walls/ceiling of the enclosure in the hopes of keeping humidity up.

Hopefully you guys will have some suggestions.

This sounds and looks like Piper, a rescued red I took in about 2 months ago. your care sounds spot on so I would start with a blood panel. You want to have her inflammatory proteins checked because she looks pretty swollen, even in her limbs and neck area. The blood panel will also show if anything else internally is going on. IF something is going on, that could be the reason for retained shed. Sometimes when they are sick, they will retain sheds. I would do daily soaks for about 20 mins. If she wont eat, dont force her. Especially if she has any kidney issues going on you dont want to be forcing food into her as it could make it worse. They eat when they feel good, and clearly shes not underweight so she can go awhile without food and she'll be fine. I really dont have any other suggestions for you other than to get a blood panel done since it seems you have already tried everything else I would suggest. Oh, and I would leave her basking at 118, as long as she has the second one to use. All my tegus bask at 120-130, short periods of time is good, it takes less time for them to warm up so its okay. Keep us updated!

oh and have you thought of impaction? is she pooping regularly?

Quote Originally Posted by SnakeCharmr728 View Post
    oh and have you thought of impaction? is she pooping regularly?
    She's been pooping fine, considering how little she's eaten. She still passes urate regularly and she pooped in the tub about 10 days ago.

Things seemed to have turned a corner in the last 2 or 3 days. It was getting pretty bad. She almost never opened her eyes anymore and wouldn't react to anything short of picking her up which would result in a few tongue flicks. Then about 2 days ago she shed around her eyes. Looking at the shed, it looks like it would have been very difficult for her to open her eyes even if she wanted to. Then more of her face shed, and today big sheets are coming off of her body. She has lots of energy and is looking around and exploring again. At this rate she should be back to normal in a few days.

Her environment hasn't changed in the last few months. I've been monitoring humidity and temperatures and they've been in good ranges. So I'm not sure why all of this is happening now, but I'm glad it is. I wonder if she was sick from something or if it was some kind of brumation?

Default Re: Red Tegu with shedding/weight issues

That's great I know she is happy as r u

from Samsung Galaxy S3