Thread: Chief ate a quarter, now in the ER

Default Chief ate a quarter, now in the ER

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I posted here, and I have some news about Chief (this could be a long story so bear with me).

Yesterday was beautiful outside here in NY, so I decided to take my tegu out after my graduation so we could both enjoy the sun. After a calm hour and a half outside, I decided to bathe him. While getting his bath ready, I let him down on the floor for a bit like I usually do. However, right as the bath was just about done, I turned around and noticed he found this quarter wedged in the corner of the bathroom, and promptly ate it in one gulp. Panicked, I rushed over to him and opened his mouth, hoping it was still in there, but to no avail. I quickly dialed my vet's number, who unfortunately wasn't there, and was redirected to the emergency clinic. After reaching the clinic, a very calm and friendly vet greeted us and discussed the procedure and the prognosis for my poor tegu. She told us that he won't be able to pass the quarter, and the scopes they have are too big for him, so they'll have to perform surgery on him. The good news is, the quarter was in his stomach. She told us that another animal is having surgery at the moment, so Chief would be next in line. She also assured us that Chief has his youth on his side, but anesthesia could cause complications. After nervously waiting for 5 hours, we were told that Chief is now heading for surgery. I couldn't help but notice all the other injured animals and their distressed owners, which made the 5 hours seem like an eternity. After the surgery was done (which was approx. 45 min) the surgeon came up to us with a bag in his hand. A rush of emotions and thoughts hit me as he walked up to us. He smiled and shook my hand, telling me that the quarter is in the bag, and that Chief is okay.

Today at about 10 AM another vet called me and said that Chief is surprisingly active and that he should be home by tomorrow. I dropped off my powersun bulb, deep dome lamp, free range chicken, caribbean papaya, and his favorite basking rock at the clinic before asking a few questions. The vet said that in about 2 weeks his stitches will need to be taken out and for now to leave him on newspaper bedding, and to keep moisture off his stomach.

We'll be framing the quarter on my bedroom wall, and will call it the "2,700 dollar quarter".

awww great story!!!

Default Re: Chief ate a quarter, now in the ER

Lol aww man at least he is better

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Thanks guys He just got home and seems a little groggy. Can't blame him lol. In about 10-14 days he'll have his stitches removed.

If anyone who has this problem (reptile w/ foreign object in stomach) happens to stumble across this thread, I highly recommend that you go to the vet ASAP and document what time he/she ate the object. The sooner you get your pet to the clinic, the better. If surgery is required, prepare yourself for a high price (mine was $2,500).

Glad everything is ok.
    0.1 beardie Penelope
    1.0 beardie Rosie
    0.01 CBB northern blue tongue skink lucy
    0.0.1 blue spot timor monitor evie
    0.1 b&w & red hybrid loo loo
    0.0.1 quince monitor
    1.0 b&w tegu Cosmo

OMG. This is one scary story. I'm so glad that Chief is doing well. I'm sorry it cost you so much. Please give him a hug from me. Thank you for sharing your story.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl