Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New from Connecticut

Default New from Connecticut

Hi I am 18 years old and have just recently finished high school. I will be having a lot time on my hands with going to a community college next year and have been thinking about buying a tegu. I have/had lots of animals such as pitbulls, cats, ferrets, rats, but not to many reptiles. The reptiles I have had are corn snakes, a king snake, and i currently have two jungle jag carpet pythons and two leopard geckos. None of these are anything like a tegu or require the same care of a tegu but I really want to have a large lizard and a tegu looks like a great option. I have done tons of research on them and plan on going to the white plains reptile expo in July to see them in person. (Anyone know how many have tegus there?) Also I have been looking on king snake for tegus/enclosure ideas. Is there any simple but good enclosures you could link me to? (8x4x4)

Welcome to the site and thanks for coming . I would suggest waiting until your semester starts, you get an idea of your schedule, the time you'll have and whether or not you'll be working before getting a tegu. Community college or not school can be time consuming not to mention everything else that comes and goes along with it.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

Hi Tyler137. Welcome to our Tegu forum family. It's nice to have you here. I don't know if you rather buy a enclosure or build it your self. Here are some information for you to check out if you like on where you can get a Tegu and how to build your own enclosure. I'm very proud of you for doing your research first before getting a Tegu . Good luck with college.

Where you can get a Tegu:

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...-Tegu-Breeders

How to build your own enclosure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctDVDo8WQ-s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNQOrKrK3yk
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Default Re: New from Connecticut

Welcome neighbor

from Samsung Galaxy S3

i dont think its difficult to have a tegu and go to school. i do 15-18 credit semesters and work 30 hour weeks.you just have him sit with you while you do homework or watch tv or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Montegu View Post
    i dont think its difficult to have a tegu and go to school. i do 15-18 credit semesters and work 30 hour weeks.you just have him sit with you while you do homework or watch tv or whatever
    Yeah I'm not really worried about it... Doing a 12 credit semester for my first semester and 3 of those credits are online. Currently working at a baseball stadium but I will find something else for during school, shouldn't be to hard to manage everything.

ya i have a tegu a savannah a nile and a beardie that all require lots of attention so i just rotate them around while i do my house work and school. if you are dedicated you will be alright.

Welcome (:

I'm assuming you're gonna start with a hatchling and if that's the case i'd start with a smaller enclosure than a 8'X4'. Maybe start with something around 4'x2'x2', and that will provide plenty of room for a tegu up to 24" or so. During that time you can be planning the grand enclosure and trying to see what works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrux View Post
    I'm assuming you're gonna start with a hatchling and if that's the case i'd start with a smaller enclosure than a 8'X4'. Maybe start with something around 4'x2'x2', and that will provide plenty of room for a tegu up to 24" or so. During that time you can be planning the grand enclosure and trying to see what works best for you.
    Actually getting my hatchling shipped to me right now, and it should be here tomorrow. Putting it into a 40 gallon tank, with cypress mulch and a 100w powersun. Basking spot was about 107 when I tested today and humidity was high 70s. Also found a guy on Craigslist selling two old Burmese python cages very cheap for what they costed to make. Will move it into one those when it is bigger.