Thread: House Tegu

Default House Tegu

Does anyone have a house tegu? I know the Macgyver tegu is, but I was hoping to make Mushu a house tegu. I have had him for about 8 months and have taught him a lot since then, he knows where his bed is and his two basking spots are around the house. I was wondering if there is anything else i should know before i make the big switch into letting him free roam?
    He will come on command (if he thinks i have something)
    He is potty trained to the bathtub
    He loves new visitors to the house
    He isn't really afraid of anything (dogs, cats, birds, other tegus)
    About 40in long
    Loves human interaction.

I mostly just want to know what to watch out for?? I have tegu proofed my house but I'm still scared.
    Mushu!

How do you tegu proof a house? I'm so nervous Yoshi will get under something really small. The other day he ran up the insulation on a wall. I would never let him go around the house. Just my room. But I haven't been able to teach him all that so from what you've said I would say it's fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4 Beta

essentially i just put locks on the cabinets because he is somehow able to get in them without the locks. I put a modified child stopper thing on the stairs, plastic plugs in the outlets and finally taped the bottom of the couch so he cant get under it. I've done a bunch of trial runs and he isn't able to get into anything he's not supposed to.
    Mushu!

Baby steps. Sounds like you still have doubts so do it in small steps. Personally I wouldn't do the whole house, i'd just limit the roaming to a room but that's just me.

If you watch McGyver's videos on YouTube, he does an excellent job explaining how he started with McGyver and how he tegu proofed his house. I know this is kinda late response and you may have already made this transition haha but I thought better late and helpful than never (; good luck with your lizard and letting him free roam!!

My tegu's enclosure door is open 24/7, it is located in the living room and he is allowed to roam whenever he wants. Keep in mind that I live in a climate where the temperatures and humidity is very suitable for keeping tegus, even indoors. There are also no other animals free in that area.

I only let him roam the living room. All room doors are closed. I keep everything off the floor and there are no closets or stuff like that in the living room. In fact, my couch is designed to "open" with a hinge so I can take him back out if he gets in there, and also to clean feces under there when necessary. All electrical outlets that are not behind furniture were wired so that they are 3 feet off the floor when I first renovated the house. The floor is ceramic tiles no carpet and there are also extra basking stations around such as under the TV, as well as water drinking areas.

I vacuum regularly to make sure the floor is clear of things that he may eat which he shouldn't.

He has never climbed onto anything, prefering to try to dig instead. I once had another tegu (a red) which DID climb and she did cause havoc around the house knocking things over etc. I had to rehome her not because of that but because she was very aggressive and was constantly attacking people, guests, me, brooms, anything that moved. If you have a tegu like that, then free roaming indoors may not be ideal.