Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tegu mbd?

Default tegu mbd?

for the past couple days my tegu has been kinda limping around on his front legs and its getting worse =( i dont really think it could be mbd because i have the powersun uva/uvb/heat bulb all in one but maybe thats not enough? his basking spot is at 110 F and ambient of 95 on the hot to 78 on the cool side. i feed him mostly ground turkey and pinky mice with whatever fruit i have at the time. what did i do wrong?

calcium supplementation?

i have just started to use the flukers calcium with vitamin d3 yesterday as i did some research on what to do. i really dont want it to get any worse.will that be enough calcium him or is more supplementation needed? and how long can i expect recovery to take?

Default Re: tegu mbd?

That's really not good u need whole prey or ground meat wit bones in it

from Samsung Galaxy S3

i put the calcium powder on top of his lean ground turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    i have just started to use the flukers calcium with vitamin d3 yesterday as i did some research on what to do. i really dont want it to get any worse.will that be enough calcium him or is more supplementation needed? and how long can i expect recovery to take?
    He said he feeds him pinky mice..

Pinky mice are pretty mute when calling that whole prey they dont have developed bones so it does not count as enough calcium. Ground turkey lacks most nutrients needed. I would take him to the vet for an xray to check bone density and to make sure he doesnt have any broken bones. Adding in more whole prey and organ meats would be beneficial, less ground turkey. Try the largest rodents you think he can take, or even better cut an adult mouse into pieces while still slightly frozen - less messy that way. Whole prey doesnt just mean rodents, it just means the whole form of the animal. you can also offer silversides which is a small whole fish, shrimp, quail chicks, more insects.... and as he grows it opens up more choices, like rabbit pinks, whole mice and rats, chicks, larger fish, shrimp scallops, crawdads. mini crab, etc. You can even add in some organ meats, like chicken liver, gizzards, heart, beef liver, beef heart --- just go easy on the liver, too much is bad. ground meat with bones can be ordered from hare-today.com too but shipping is expensive.

Yea i would have to cut up the mice because he can probably eat a fuzzy but that would b pushing it he isnt very big yet. And i already use hare today to buy rabbits for my snake so the mice will just fill in a little empty space left in the box. Or there is a reptile expo that i go to where i can buy mice. And how often should i dust with calcium? I have also decided to start taking him outside because its starting to get nice and warm out

I don't want to tell you what to do. But I do recommend putting your Tegu on a reptile leash so he can't run away ( they are very fast ). If you want to you can put some bigger rodents/chicks into a blender. This way he gets the calcium he needs. I got a blender just for our lizards. You also can feed him some smelts ( small frozen/thawed fish ). Every time you give him any food that doesn't have bones in it for the calcium you have to sprinkle the calcium powder on it. I also would give him a big variety in meats and not just the ground turkey. You can give him different kind of fish filets like salmon, tuna, cod, cat fish, tilapia, shrimp and others. I wouldn't give him anything out of a can ( like the tuna ). If you are on a budget you can give him some cut up chicken heats,gizzards and liver. Those are cheap. Hard boiled eggs are good, too.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

thats a good idea i will have to get some because i am going to go to walmart and meijer to find some liver gizzard and maybe even beef heart if i can find it. the blender idea is a really good one i will have to get one. i cant see a decent one costing more than 20 bucks or so. i didnt know that tegus would eat fish though. so i will probably get him some of that. i could make a lot at once, bag, and freeze in portions enough for 2 feedings.