Thread: Ants?!

Default Ants?!

I woke up this morning to find a BUNCH of little tiny blacks ants just running around all over my tegu's custom built enclosure. They don't seem to be inside of it, but they could be in the mulch... but none are on Zeus or anything. They have visted me before about two weeks ago and I vacummed them all up and bought a pet friendly ant killer from Lowes. I did not spray it inside, but outside along my house and windows. I thought I had fixed the problem. I even bought brand new Cypress mulch from a pet store and took his bowl out of his cage. His bowl is back in his cage (I went camping for a couple days) and the ants are back! I was wondering if any of yall have ever had this problem, or if it even has anything to do with my tegu. I feel like if it was just an ant problem, they would be everywhere, not just on his cage. I have an exterminator coming tomorrow, so it should be all good ( I hope) but has this happened to anybody else?? Or is it just ants inside my house and Im being paranoid about my boy?

i recently had an ant problem. i was wondering the same thing, i could be wrong but i figured ants are in the wild too and if they are just black scavenger ants they are not going to hurt him. if be a little more worried if they were fire ants or something

I had the same problem. If you see them on it, they are for sure in it. I had a huge enclosure with a foort or more substrate. I was not about to remove it because of the expense and the certain return of the critters. I tried ant baits, the little round cans with tiny holes but the little devils ignored it.
    The ants didn't bother my tegu so I dstopped worrying about the whole thing. I don't know what you can do. If there is a nest, you might try and find and dig it out. While you are doing so, worker ants will be seen carrying eggs to another area. If you see a few, there are thousands in the enclosure.
    Like I said, they didn't bother Gordo at all.

T. merianea, Gordo
    T. rufescens, Eva
    V. Ionedes, Nyuse Kinabo, (Swahili - Black Gift from God)
    Standard Poodles - Millee & Sonny Boy
    A bunch of colubrids and tarantulas

They're not on him or hurting him, but I definitely don't want them in my house haha I had an exterminator spray the outside of my house and I don't see any today... But if they come back I think I'll just get the inside sprayed too. It's very nice to know I'm not the only one who's had this problem. And that nothing is going to die haha