Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: JAZZ, my B&W Argentine tegu

Default JAZZ, my B&W Argentine tegu

Here is my first of many free roaming/interaction video's. i just tegu proofed her enclosure room so now we can spend lots n lots of time together on the floor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xm362Dup89I

She is alittle skittish now but im sure that she will grow out of it within a couple weeks. She was fine free roaming in my bathroom before she was put into her new enclosure (about a month ago), but we now have a cat too so i dont like Jazz in the bathroom with the cat litter and such. i take the litter out and sweep but i dont want to take the chance if she swallows some un-swept litter.

Since she has been in this large enclosure, she has gotten more skittish and alert as if i am going to hurt her or something.

She is 9 months old in this video and is about 31" long. if anyone has any suggestions on taming please let me know. I read up on taming technique's so i have a realy good understanding on it but the more information the better. If anyone does anything specific with there gu's while interacting like a little game or something thats beneficial toward the gu, plz let me know. id love to try something new.

Rite now i've just been moving very slowly and letting her do her thing. if she comes around me ill slowly put my hand out to pet her and if she lets, she lets. if she walks away, i wont chase her. im just trying to create a trust bond rite now. more vids and pic's to come! hope you all enjoy my pretty girl Jazz
    youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/subiedude09

Instagram: subiedude09

B&W Argentine Tegu: Jazz

Citrus Hypo Bearded Dragon: Rango

Sandfire Bearded Dragon: Pyro

Some pictures of Jazz:

Dinner time!

Before and After

Jazz hanging out with the girlfriend in the bathrrom

First and ONLY outdoor session!! Almost lost her and it isn't worth the 20 minute's ouside. She is strictly an indoors gu

Last edited by subiedude09; 07-11-2013 at 10:38 PM.

Default Re: JAZZ, my B&W Argentine tegu

She looks good how u almost lose her

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by chitodadon View Post
    She looks good how u almost lose her

from Samsung Galaxy S3
    like i said, she is skittish...so end result was her getting spooked, running, jumping, barrel rolling, twisting, etc. it was her first time on a leash AND outside so its my fault to even attempt it. I guess i was being to pushy. Anyways, she was realy scared and was trying to get away from the harness which she never felt pull on her like that and she was biting and one of the straps came out....i quickly scooped her up (getting bit and scratched in the process) before she got the second strap out. I brought her into the hallway of my house as fast as i could and boy was she terrified. i put her down and she was gasping for breath with her mouth open. i calmed her down some and pet her alittle then picked her up again and placed her into her enclosure. Its my own fault for testing her like that and i knew i was gonna get bit when i scooped her up because she was biting the harness and leash. she did draw blood but its all ok. she was just terrified.

Like i stated, "NOt WORTH IT". if she did get lose, she is gone. she was moving so fast twisting and rolling and jumping. never seen her move that quick. Its just not worth it to me if i lose her on her second attempt outside. if i dont lose her and she is ok....the only benefit is about 20 min of sunlight.....just not worth it in my eyes

Beautiful tegu. I've had mine for about a month, and what has seemed to work for me is the bathtub technique. Mine was skittish too and now she wants to crawl all over me. I also sat with her in the shower since I didn't have to lift her up so high and that worked too. The bathroom is really the best place to work with her. I would just sit in there and she eventually would come check me out. Now I can pick her up and she doesn't fuss at all. I really can't believe how tame she is now.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/illdaddyrod

Please check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like what you see. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Midwestmonster View Post
    Beautiful tegu. I've had mine for about a month, and what has seemed to work for me is the bathtub technique. Mine was skittish too and now she wants to crawl all over me. I also sat with her in the shower since I didn't have to lift her up so high and that worked too. The bathroom is really the best place to work with her. I would just sit in there and she eventually would come check me out. Now I can pick her up and she doesn't fuss at all. I really can't believe how tame she is now.
    thank you. my gu used to act exactly how your saying yours acts now. She used to be housed in a 40 gal breeder tank until she was to big. it was when she was newly housed in her 7x3.5x4 when she became extremely skittish...worse then before. i give her baths twice a week and she loves it. she is very calm in the tub like u said. she lets me pick her up from her enclosure to go to the bath too. she is just very scared when she free roams in the room. maybe because its new to her.

we have been on a schedule for only 2 days now. If she isnt up at 12:30pm, i wake her up and she free roams for 30min-an hour with me present. i offer water as a drink so she knows i mean good. i setup a basking area with just a heat bulb with my used shirt from the day before as a basking spot. i take her hide out from in her enclosure so theres something on the floor she is used to and knows the scent of. i am going to offer food every other day at the same time's (12:30-1:30). im just trying to get her aquanted with a schedule so she knows whats going on. she willingly comes up my arm to get out of the enclosure....but its when she is out is where the problem set's in. she get's frieghtened very easily.

What you may wanna do is get her use to the leash before you take her outside. She is absolutely beautiful!! After you get her use to the leash, slowly introduce her to the outside. I suggest a quiet and warm place. That way she doesn't feel very threatened. It worked for my boy. Also, when she starts freaking out, what I do, is I hold him close to my body and just talk to him softly and after a few seconds he realizes nothing is going to harm him and he calms down. I understand how having her outside and almost losing her can be scary! But I would start slow and just have faith. I hope that helpful! It worked for me... Also! What might help, is if you get an iguana leash that is harder to break out of instead of a harness. I got mine from a pet store for like 10 bucks and it works great!

Quote Originally Posted by Calypso View Post
    What you may wanna do is get her use to the leash before you take her outside. She is absolutely beautiful!! After you get her use to the leash, slowly introduce her to the outside. I suggest a quiet and warm place. That way she doesn't feel very threatened. It worked for my boy. Also, when she starts freaking out, what I do, is I hold him close to my body and just talk to him softly and after a few seconds he realizes nothing is going to harm him and he calms down. I understand how having her outside and almost losing her can be scary! But I would start slow and just have faith. I hope that helpful! It worked for me... Also! What might help, is if you get an iguana leash that is harder to break out of instead of a harness. I got mine from a pet store for like 10 bucks and it works great!
    thanks calypso, your comment was helpful . ill pick up an iguana leash later on down the road....as for now, i have to gain a trust bond with her. she has been very skittish lately and i now have her on a schedule to free roam in the room her enclosure is in (she's free roamed every once in a while). Half hour to an hour a day and every other day she gets fed about 20 min into her free roam session . after i gain her trust and she is very comfortable free roaming with me/my girlfriend present, im going to have her free roam on this leash you were talking about. once she is comfortable with that, i mite slowly get her into the yard on a leash. we will see

When you are going to take her outside I recommend sitting down with her and put her on your lap ( with the leash on ). Keep your hand over her. If you put her straight on the ground she might wan to run away, do the alligator roll or dart at you. Every noise will scare her ( like the birds ). When I first took our six Tegus outside for the first time I put them under my hoody. Let their heads stick out where my neck is. Since most of their body was covered by the hoody they felt save. I walked around like this for about 2 weeks so they could get used to being outside. Then I sat down and put them on my lap. When I saw that they are calm I put them on the ground. Please keep a eye open for small rocks. One of our Tegu's ( Leonidas ) ate one at the park. Thank God he pooped it out.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Quote Originally Posted by txrepgirl View Post
    When you are going to take her outside I recommend sitting down with her and put her on your lap ( with the leash on ). Keep your hand over her. If you put her straight on the ground she might wan to run away, do the alligator roll or dart at you. Every noise will scare her ( like the birds ). When I first took our six Tegus outside for the first time I put them under my hoody. Let their heads stick out where my neck is. Since most of their body was covered by the hoody they felt save. I walked around like this for about 2 weeks so they could get used to being outside. Then I sat down and put them on my lap. When I saw that they are calm I put them on the ground. Please keep a eye open for small rocks. One of our Tegu's ( Leonidas ) ate one at the park. Thank God he pooped it out.
    thank you for your advice! i realy appreciate it . hopefully everything works out