Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Life story AND Dookie questions. Can't pass this one up!

Default Life story AND Dookie questions. Can't pass this one up!

Hey guys and gals! Please do not be afraid of my wall of text. :]

I've been stalking the forums for months now and have finally joined and am actually posting. I've been trying to find info and can't seem to find any that satisfy my curiosity.

I'll try to shorten this, I tend to be long winded.. fingered..? Whatever, you know what I mean. I take the long route to explain things...

I adopted a b&w a few days ago and I'm really thinking this is more of a rescue. I was told he is around a year old, he's about 2 1/2 ft long. This cutie was kept on a thin layer of newspaper in a 40g 4ft tank. The tank was kept in his garage, so I'm going to go ahead and assume it was dark and he was never visited. No water bowl, no heat lamp. I was told he was eating 2-3 medium rats per week, but this last week he 'couldn't get to the rat guy in time' so he fed him eggs which he 'neevveerr does' (he really over emphasized that making me not believe him one bit) The guy told me about how he had to scrub and wash this Tegu's tank before I picked it up and when I got a good look at it there is still blood and random unidentifiable things stuck on the glass, screen lid, ect. and he explained how the tank's odor wouldn't go away no matter what (sounds like he spent a lot of time caring for the Tegu and cleaning its enclosure -eyeroll-). When I told him I had calcium and vitamins at home to mix in with his food and uvb bulbs and all that he said 'you don't even need any of that, he gets all the stuff he needs from rats' So then I was holding said Tegu (who I named Graves) and I noticed he had some stuck shed on his face, feet, and back legs. I said 'oh, is he shedding?' The guy said 'Oh no no no, he's just peeling.' When I asked when the last time he was in a bath/tub the guy just kinda looked confused...

So at that point I was ready for him to stop talking.

He's still in the tank until my husband and I finish building his enclosure. We're going to go ahead and make him a place he can live and grow for a few years at least. I have 5 thriving vivariums and terrariums that house different critters already, so this is not new for us just on a larger scale.
    His tank now I have about 8 in of moist cypress in the bottom, a shallow dish he can wallow in at one end and his basking rock and heat lamp at the other.
    Most of the stuck shed starting coming off almost immediately after being in his revamped place for 30 minutes. He has been spending most of his time basking, swimming in warm/hot baths, and wandering around my house. He has eaten 1 egg since he has been here, and he is sleeping under the mulch right now. He has perked up so much and he is very alert now, when he first got here he was lethargic and almost seemingly unresponsive compared to how quickly he reacts to any sounds or movement now. He seems to be doing regular Tegu things but he is not pooping! He has peeped (lol) a lot. Sometimes there is a little puddle of dark yellow in the peep, and some white string looking things which I've read is kind of normal even though I'm not 100% on his age or even sex.

QUESTION OF THE WHOLE STORY: Is the dark yellow mush poo?

Would the eggs that this guy 'neeevvveeerrrr' fed the Tegu give him the runs like this? The mush part is kind of yolk colored. He isn't doing the booty wiggle dance to make me think he's impacted. I don't think I've had him long enough for him to be eating comfortably, but if this guy was feeding him only rats (so he claimed except this one week) wouldn't the poo be more solid? Was this guy pretty much lying like I am suspect of and really only feeding him eggs? Graves' tummy doesn't seem bloated or anything.

Any thoughts? Advice? I'm a new Tegu mama, so I'm welcoming any and all tips tricks and advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by pretty View Post
    Hey guys and gals! Please do not be afraid of my wall of text. :]

I've been stalking the forums for months now and have finally joined and am actually posting. I've been trying to find info and can't seem to find any that satisfy my curiosity.

I'll try to shorten this, I tend to be long winded.. fingered..? Whatever, you know what I mean. I take the long route to explain things...

I adopted a b&w a few days ago and I'm really thinking this is more of a rescue. I was told he is around a year old, he's about 2 1/2 ft long. This cutie was kept on a thin layer of newspaper in a 40g 4ft tank. The tank was kept in his garage, so I'm going to go ahead and assume it was dark and he was never visited. No water bowl, no heat lamp. I was told he was eating 2-3 medium rats per week, but this last week he 'couldn't get to the rat guy in time' so he fed him eggs which he 'neevveerr does' (he really over emphasized that making me not believe him one bit) The guy told me about how he had to scrub and wash this Tegu's tank before I picked it up and when I got a good look at it there is still blood and random unidentifiable things stuck on the glass, screen lid, ect. and he explained how the tank's odor wouldn't go away no matter what (sounds like he spent a lot of time caring for the Tegu and cleaning its enclosure -eyeroll-). When I told him I had calcium and vitamins at home to mix in with his food and uvb bulbs and all that he said 'you don't even need any of that, he gets all the stuff he needs from rats' So then I was holding said Tegu (who I named Graves) and I noticed he had some stuck shed on his face, feet, and back legs. I said 'oh, is he shedding?' The guy said 'Oh no no no, he's just peeling.' When I asked when the last time he was in a bath/tub the guy just kinda looked confused...

So at that point I was ready for him to stop talking.

He's still in the tank until my husband and I finish building his enclosure. We're going to go ahead and make him a place he can live and grow for a few years at least. I have 5 thriving vivariums and terrariums that house different critters already, so this is not new for us just on a larger scale.
    His tank now I have about 8 in of moist cypress in the bottom, a shallow dish he can wallow in at one end and his basking rock and heat lamp at the other.
    Most of the stuck shed starting coming off almost immediately after being in his revamped place for 30 minutes. He has been spending most of his time basking, swimming in warm/hot baths, and wandering around my house. He has eaten 1 egg since he has been here, and he is sleeping under the mulch right now. He has perked up so much and he is very alert now, when he first got here he was lethargic and almost seemingly unresponsive compared to how quickly he reacts to any sounds or movement now. He seems to be doing regular Tegu things but he is not pooping! He has peeped (lol) a lot. Sometimes there is a little puddle of dark yellow in the peep, and some white string looking things which I've read is kind of normal even though I'm not 100% on his age or even sex.

QUESTION OF THE WHOLE STORY: Is the dark yellow mush poo?

Would the eggs that this guy 'neeevvveeerrrr' fed the Tegu give him the runs like this? The mush part is kind of yolk colored. He isn't doing the booty wiggle dance to make me think he's impacted. I don't think I've had him long enough for him to be eating comfortably, but if this guy was feeding him only rats (so he claimed except this one week) wouldn't the poo be more solid? Was this guy pretty much lying like I am suspect of and really only feeding him eggs? Graves' tummy doesn't seem bloated or anything.

Any thoughts? Advice? I'm a new Tegu mama, so I'm welcoming any and all tips tricks and advice!!
    the yellow thing in his pee is most likely the "plug" lol. tegu's and every lizard i've ever owned has "plugs". i dont know the legit term but it retains the pee and poo from leaking out the slit. also, the white stringy things are most likely sperm plugs and if they are sperm plugs, you have a male could possably be a yearling or older and hit peuberty so he started dropping plugs. google tegu sperm plugs and see if thats what he is leaving behind.

also, im sorry to here about the condition he was in prior to your ownership! I cant stand people who dont know anything about animals and think they can just own one. what was he thinking?? a good garage center piece? *idiot*.

i wish you luck with your new friend
    youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/subiedude09

Instagram: subiedude09

B&W Argentine Tegu: Jazz

Citrus Hypo Bearded Dragon: Rango

Sandfire Bearded Dragon: Pyro

Default Re: Life story AND Dookie questions. Can't pass this one up!

It looks like u have a male post pics please and good luck getbhim outside for some natural sunlight

from Samsung Galaxy S3

The whites in his peep doesn't look quite like sperm plugs. I'll try to get him to peep on my tile to get a picture (lmfao, never thought i would want someone or something to poop/peep on my floor)

Here are some pix of him, behind me in isn't his tank if yall see the lights and assume that. That is my box turtle table :]

graves.jpg

gravey.jpg

graveyy.jpg

graveyyy.jpg

He is a columbian tegu

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by chitodadon View Post
    He is a columbian tegu

from Samsung Galaxy S3
    really???? dang.

Yea u can tell by the black spots in head

from Samsung Galaxy S3

This is a argentine head

from Samsung Galaxy S3
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are there any main differences in care for columbian vs argentine?

No but columbian don't hibernate

from Samsung Galaxy S3