Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to buy a Tegu eventually, quick question...

Default Looking to buy a Tegu eventually, quick question...

First off, hi there. New guy here, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and such.

Right now I own 3 red eyed tree frogs, a crested gecko and a leachianus gecko.

I owned a Columbian Tegu yeeeaaars ago. But now I'm really interested in getting a B&W Argentine. I notice some seem to have whiter faces/snouts than others. Is there a way, as a juvie, to ensure that your tegu will have this? Or is it just luck of the draw, so to speak?

Thanks for your replies.

Also, where would you guys recommend buying from?

Hi VooDoo. Welcome to our Tegu forum family. You have a nice collection there . I have seen more b/w Tegus with a whiter head/face then darker ones. But it you want a lighter colored b/w I would go with a extreme giant/chacoan. Here is a link to a Thread I made for some great breeders and some other links in there to where you can buy one from other people like Fauanclassifieds. I also will post some photos one of our regular b/w Tegu and one of a extreme giant/chacoan so you can see the difference. Hope this helps.

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...-Tegu-Breeders

This is our regular b/w Tegu ( Leonidas ).

This is a extreme giant/chacoan:

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Thanks a bunch for the info!

I guess I want a 'regular' b&w...once that looks like the one in the pic you posted. I like how much white is on it's face. Now, I have seen them without nearly as much white, as in the pic below. Can this be determined as a juvie, or is it impossible to tell at that age how they'll turn out?

Your welcome. Any time. It's hard to tell how a hatchling will turn out. The best bet is to get one from a breeder and ask the breeder for some photos of the parents. If they both have a light colored head then you have a bigger chance that your Tegu will turn out the same way.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.teguterra.com/apps/websto...s/show/3239560

Call him up. At this age you would be able to tell more accurately what it would look like as an adult so you could request one with more black.

Hey Sam, where were those Chacoans produced? I would have loved to get one like that! My chacoan looks similar to the regular black you showed.

So what are the Chacoans? Are they whiter? Do they get bigger than B&W's?

What are the whitest tegus available? The blues look pretty white. What are high whites? Are those completely different than B&W's?

Thank you all so much.

Honestly, they all get to be about the same size. Certain individuals might get larger than others but they will all be close. Chacoans do tend to be whiter and some believe they get larger but I've spoken with several experts and they all agree that the size is no different than anything other black and white or red. Based on what I've personally seen, I think the blues tend to be smaller BUT there are some big ones out there.

If you can find a really white Chacoan, that would be my pick but some of the blues are very attractive. Personally I don't find reds all that attractive but I've seen some that I like.

Josh, I know that Johnny from TeguTerra is breeding the Chacoans. Bobby Hill ( Varnyard ) used to breed them. I'm not sure if Typark breeds them. I'm not sure where they are originally from. I know tupinambis ( our expert her on the forum ) will not it . The photos I posted are two different Tegus. The first one is our b/w Leonidas ( regular b/w ) . The second one is of a chacoan Tegu. I got that of photobucket. Here are some videos of a regular b/w ( our Leonidas and Zeus ), then a chacoan and then from a blue Tegu.

Your welcome VooDoo. Josh is right when it comes to the sizes. There are some Tegus out there that are high white. But they are very rare.

Our Leonidas and Zeus ( regular b/w ).

This is a chacoan/extreme giant.

This is a blue Tegu.

Our videos :