Thread: I can't even describe how bad it smells...

Default I can't even describe how bad it smells...

this is the words I said to my wife a few minutes ago. I am stumped on this one. heres the whole thing...

I have a 5 year old red tegu. full grown male. he hasnt really eaten in almost a month. in the past month I have attempted to feed him a dozen times. so far he has only actually eaten 1 small rat. he has eaten and then thrown back up several dishes of turkey, tilapia, fruit and other things I have tried. and when he brings this stuff back up, it is HORRIBLE. I am not one to get queasy very easily, but the smell is simply overpowering. knock your head back and want to vomit overpowering.

he otherwise seems healthy and active. he still drinks from his bowl, he still roams around like normal when we take him out. he just wont eat. at his fattest he was around 9.5 pounds. I would say he is easily down to maybe 7 now and is starting to look skinny. I dont know what to do.

Get him to a Vet he could have an obstruction that's keeping him from digesting food, which is just one of many things that could be the issue. In the mean time how are you keeping him, temps (plus measuring equipment), humidity, diet?

0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"

Agreed. Could be an obstruction, could be parasite related, could be an inverted intestine. This is not something to try remedying yourself.

Hi Random. Welcome back. I have seen and heard alot of things about Tegus before. But not about this. I would take him to a Vet as soon as you can, too. Please keep us posted and good luck. If you want to you can ask your Vet if you can give your Tegu the carnivore diet so he will get some nutrition in him.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA07606U0196
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

I have given Oxbow Carnivore Care to tegus (I currently have a problematic female I regularly use this with) so there should be no issues.

ed seems to be doing a little better. Vet prices were more than we could afford, so we went the home remedy route. oil once a day. baths three times a day. I dont know if it was the bath, or what, but he seems to be getting a little back to normal. I fed him a small mouse a few weeks ago, and he ate and kept it down, then passed it in a few days, so I tried a little bit of food, and he took that down as well. He is being very agressive. I figure that is because he is starving. he has lost a good couple of pounds, and looks skinny, but with him eating I think he should pack it back on soon enough. I am still only feeding him once a week, and only about half his usual amount, with a little oil and his supplements mixed in. I will keep you all updated as he gets back to his old fighting weight of 10#. I figure hes down to abut 8# right now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A few more shots. He's walking fine and very curious as usual.20130911_183955.jpg20130911_184016.jpg20130911_184004.jpg

I'm so glad to hear that he is doing better. Since he is pooping, too, I would try to feed him every other day. Even if you just give him small amounts of food. I LOVE the first photo in your second post when he looks straight into the camera . Thank you for the update and the photos.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl