Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tegu coming this week

Default Tegu coming this week

Bought my Tegu from Ty Parks on Thursday and it will be shipping out tomorrow. Just wondering what I should do when he comes in? Put him straight in the cage and leave him alone for a few days or try to feed him and interact with him? I know with snakes you leave them in the cage for about a week before you do anything with them but I'm not to sure about tegus and the time they need to adjust. Thanks!
    1.0.0 Black & White Argentine Tegu-Kronos
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake
    0.0.1 Colombian Red-Tailed Boa

It really depends on the temperament of the tegu. If he wants nothing to do with you when you first get him then you should leave him alone.. But if he seems fine and calm then you can probably try feeding him the next day or taking him out for a little.

I put mine in her cage right away so she could warm up. After that I took her out to see if she was hungry.

What worked for me for feeding was putting her food dish on a blanket on a plate in the middle of the room. This has worked great. No food aggression or cage aggression.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/illdaddyrod

Please check out my YouTube channel and subscribe if you like what you see. Thanks.

Since Ty is only selling hatchlings, it is gonna be pretty flighty. A 24 he adjustment period is more than enough. Leave him be for the first day and then start offering food and interacting. I've done that in the past with several species and I'm currently having superb results with very own tegu.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrux View Post
    Since Ty is only selling hatchlings, it is gonna be pretty flighty. A 24 he adjustment period is more than enough. Leave him be for the first day and then start offering food and interacting. I've done that in the past with several species and I'm currently having superb results with very own tegu.
    Great thanks for the help. Does the cage size effect anything? For instance, I'm going to put a divider in half of his cage so he starts out with a 4x4 area. I know with snakes if the cage is too big at first they can get stressed and not eat and so forth is this also true about tegus?
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

Quote Originally Posted by reptidude View Post
    Great thanks for the help. Does the cage size effect anything? For instance, I'm going to put a divider in half of his cage so he starts out with a 4x4 area. I know with snakes if the cage is too big at first they can get stressed and not eat and so forth is this also true about tegus?
    I have seen people say that it can be the same. What you should do is put a lot of things in there like plants and hides so it isn't a huge open space for a little hatchling.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler137 View Post
    I have seen people say that it can be the same. What you should do is put a lot of things in there like plants and hides so it isn't a huge open space for a little hatchling.
    Yea that's what I'm thinking. 4x4 is the smallest area I can give him so I'll try and load it up with hides
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

Came in this morning! Looks like he likes his new cage too

DSCN0089.jpgDSCN0094.jpg
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

Default Re: Tegu coming this week

That's great

from Samsung Galaxy S3

Quote Originally Posted by chitodadon View Post