Thread: First Feedings

Default First Feedings

I have a couple questions about feeding my new tegu Kronos. I gave him some food yesterday put he only at the ground turkey. I had a few veggies on there Cuccumbers and carrots but he didn't seem too interested in those. How often should I put supplements on his food and how often should I give him rats, roaches and other meats? I have some quail chicks and beef liver and the basic foods tegu's eat like eggs and fruits. Thanks!
    1.0.0 Black & White Argentine Tegu-Kronos
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake
    0.0.1 Colombian Red-Tailed Boa

Default Re: First Feedings

If ubtry fruit just put the fruit by itself first to get him used to it my tegu won't eat fruit

from Samsung Galaxy S3

I don't know if mine would eat cucumber and carrots. Try papaya, mango, cherries, melon, berries.

You should put calcium on any food that does not have bones at the rate of 1 Tablespoon per pound. If you are not mixing a pound, then divide it down. There is no set schedule for feeding so many rats or quail or liver pieces per week. Having variety in the diet is the key to balanced nutrition.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Well...that and feeding good quality food.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Quote Originally Posted by laurarfl View Post
    I don't know if mine would eat cucumber and carrots. Try papaya, mango, cherries, melon, berries.

You should put calcium on any food that does not have bones at the rate of 1 Tablespoon per pound. If you are not mixing a pound, then divide it down. There is no set schedule for feeding so many rats or quail or liver pieces per week. Having variety in the diet is the key to balanced nutrition.
    Ok good to know. Somewhere I read feeding to many rats is high in fat and bad for their liver an they should get no more than 2 a week so I was a little confused about that. Do you have any suggestions about veggies they would like or should I stick with just fruits for now?
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

Quote Originally Posted by chitodadon View Post
    If ubtry fruit just put the fruit by itself first to get him used to it my tegu won't eat fruit
    I'll give that a shot. Do you think leaving it in his cage for a couple hrs would be ok? see if he gets curious and eats it in case he doesn't eat it right away.
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

Quote Originally Posted by reptidude View Post
    I'll give that a shot. Do you think leaving it in his cage for a couple hrs would be ok? see if he gets curious and eats it in case he doesn't eat it right away.
    Never feed tegus in the cage unless its an extreme circumstance. Supplement Vitamins in every meal that doesnt have natural calcium. Also make sure you have a UVB light ! hope your new Gu does well

Quote Originally Posted by dayos80 View Post
    Never feed tegus in the cage unless its an extreme circumstance. Supplement Vitamins in every meal that doesnt have natural calcium. Also make sure you have a UVB light ! hope your new Gu does well
    The only reason I'm feeding him in the cage is because I got him on Tuesday and he's been a little flighty. I'm going to try and put him in a feeding bin today but I don't plan on feeding in his cage once I can get him to eat in a feeding bin. Thanks!
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

Ah okay ! I had my Gu out and about the day after i got him. He is great. You should be okay now ! Not a problem!