Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Handling a hatchling tegu

I think I should have held mine more when I first got him out of the box. I kinda just took him out and put him in his cage. I tried the shirt trick this weekend and it worked well until I tried to close my hand and pick him up. He took off an hid under his board. He is getting better though so I think a few more tries an he'll be ok with me picking him up.
    1.0.0 Black & White Argentine Tegu-Kronos
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake
    0.0.1 Colombian Red-Tailed Boa

Great videos, those are very helpful!
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

Your very welcome. I'm glad it helps. If you want to you can keep trying the shirt trick when you want to get him out. But instead of closing and moving your hand just let him sit on your hand until get gets off. Since you are keeping still he might want to crawl up your arm. If he does this please be very careful so he doesn't fall and hurt him self. If he doesn't seem like he is going to try to bite the shirt then you can do it without the shirt. Just put your hand in there and let him walk up to you.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

When I was browsing the web today I came across this article about taming lizards http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/rep...-tame-a-lizard. do you think this is a good way of taming a lizard or not?
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

Quote Originally Posted by reptidude View Post
    When I was browsing the web today I came across this article about taming lizards http://www.backwaterreptiles.com/rep...-tame-a-lizard. do you think this is a good way of taming a lizard or not?
    That could work, but it isnt always a good idea to feed inside the cage. I guess I just got lucky with my hatchling she just runs amd jumps onto my hand as soon as I put it inside the cage. Been handling her since the first day I got her..

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler137 View Post
    That could work, but it isnt always a good idea to feed inside the cage. I guess I just got lucky with my hatchling she just runs amd jumps onto my hand as soon as I put it inside the cage. Been handling her since the first day I got her..
    Lucky you, I wish mine was that way :( he's more than happy to come see me when I'm coming to feed him put when I'm not he doesn't want to have much to do with me. He'll just stay where he is and if i get to close for his comfort he's under the board. The shirt trick is getting close to working but I just can't get him to take that final step and actually crawl onto my hand lol but I agree, I really don't like feeding him in the cage for a number of reasons such as impaction and cage aggression. I'm just trying to be patient and work with him until he feels comfortable with me.
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

Default Re: Handling a hatchling tegu

It takes time lots of time

from Samsung Galaxy S3

I do not agree with this at all. I believe the sooner (in our case ) the lizard finds out what he/she is in for the sooner he/she will adjust. By that I mean if you leave the lizard alone ( don't sit by the enclosure, talk to it, let it see you, try to handle it ) the more nerves it will be. If you around in any way ( like the things I just mentioned ) the lizard knows it doesn't have to be scared of you. We have five Tegus ( used to six ) and a black throat monitor and I handled them from day one. Yes, I admit that I got bitten before but 90% of it was my fault. I hand feed all of them and take naps with them. Dogs used to be wild, too. Tegus are very smart. They all have their own personalities. You just have to pay attention to what he/she likes and doesn't like.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

I have been doing the things your saying and I can definitely tell a big difference from the day I got and where he is now. At this point I think it's just a matter of time before he warms up to me. Just have to be patient and keep working at it
    0.0.1 Normal Corn Snake

I'm glad you can tell a difference already. You are right. Patience is everything.

Our videos :