Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a Argentine B&W

Default Looking for a Argentine B&W

looking to purchase a CB baby Argentine Black & White Tegu and was wondering if anyone has a site that is currently selling some hatchlings. Thanks
    Last edited by AdamP; 08-05-2013 at 03:25 AM.

Hi AdamP. Welcome to our Tegu forum family. Here is the link to a thread I made for some great Tegu breeders. Hope this helps.

http://www.thetegu.com/showthread.ph...-Tegu-Breeders
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

has anyone bought from www.tegusonly.com any info on him would be great. Thanks for the link

Your welcome. No, I haven't heard anything about him before. I did see this website a few days ago. Isn't he the one who catches the wild Tegus in Florida and then sells them ? I don't want to tell you what to do. But I recommend getting one from a breeder. This way you know who the parents are and that they are well taken care of. Unless you don't mind getting a rescue Tegu who might be a bit aggressive. But you never know. Maybe he has some that are tame, too.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

Quote Originally Posted by AdamP View Post
    has anyone bought from www.tegusonly.com any info on him would be great. Thanks for the link
    I would recommend finding another source as well. Johnny from TeguTerra, Ty Park...ANYONE else except from that guy.

Hey @jtrux,

Any more info on why not to go with tegusonly? other than the explanation given by @txrepgirl?
    I was going to be down in FL in a couple months and was thinking of stopping by to check it out, but will avoid that stop if there is more info i should know.
    1.5 Ball Python
    1.1.1 Crested Gecko
    3.2 Argentine Black and White Tegu

I've had many reptiles over the years and I would say there's a definite something to be said for buying from a breeder vs wild caught. This guy is capitalizing on the "epidemic" of wild tegus in Florida. It's possible to get one that would be perfectly fine as far as aggression and with all it's extremities intact for sure but I would err on the side of caution and say that is not the norm. It makes a difference when your "wild" reptile has been bred in captivity for generations and the first thing it sees, other than clutch mates, is a human. When properly treated and cared for animals, like people, can have quite the different outlook on life. They all have their own personalities to be certain just like us. Having said all that, do you want a tegu that may be more challenging from the start, with hurtles to get past as their past interaction with humans was to be hunted and God knows what else, OR would you rather have one that has been pampered from the start with a person that loves the breed? From my own personal experience, I want the absolute best to be had, period. That less expensive animal with the broken tail and missing nails will eat the same and take the same husbandry as one that could be bred to create babies worth $300+ each. Your call. ~And...that's my 2 cents~
    Tree hugging is the truest form of self preservation!
    http://facebook.com/gisartbiz

Exactly...don't wasted your time with wild caught unless there is just absolutely nothing else available. There are plenty of options for not much more than he is offering his babies.

It would be different if someone has some experience with Tegus already and wants to get a wild caught one. But if it's someones first Tegu I would stick with getting one from a breeder, too. Even a wild caught one could be tamed. I know someone who lives in Argentina. He found a adult female b/w Tegu who was attacked by a dog. He took care of her and she turned out to be very tame. If you don't mind getting bit, have a lot of time to spend with the Tegu and have enough money saved up for the Vet ( get it checked for parasites and other things ) than maybe it would be worth a try.

Our videos :

It concerns me somewhat when I see breeders and others posting the kinds of comments listed below. My first questions to all of them would be :
    Exactly how many Wild Captured tegus from Florida have YOU owned ?
    How much time you YOU actually spent with Florida WC’s ?
    Where did YOU get them ? Have YOU actually had trouble taming a WC ?
    Tupinambis merianae are smart, gentle creatures. This is true because of
    Genetic Predisposition. Tameness cannot be bred into or out of them.
    Claiming to have bred “tame” tegus is like saying you have bred a snail
    that does not make any noise.
    (txrepgirl) If you don't mind getting bit, have a lot of time to spend with the Tegu and have enough money saved up for the Vet ( get it checked for parasites and other things ) than maybe it would be worth a try. (jtrux) Exactly...don't wasted your time with wild caught unless there is just absolutely nothing else available. There are plenty of options for not much more than he is offering his babies.
    (gisherps)It makes a difference when your "wild" reptile has been bred in captivity for generations and the first thing it sees, other than clutch mates, is a human. That less expensive animal with the broken tail and missing nails will eat the same and take the same husbandry as one that could be bred to create babies worth $300+ each.
    I am a long way from being convinced that my animals, having grown up in sunlight as opposed
    to UV bulbs, having the benefit of roaming free as opposed to growing up in a box, having fed on
    a wide variety of food sources and being descendants of a gene pool numbering in the thousands,
    are INFERIOR to the captive breds.
    I have made no false statements, used foul language or called people names.
    Anyone interested in this, should probably print it. I don’t know long it will be
    before it is pulled from this forum.
    Truth exists, only falsehoods need be invented
    Rodney Irwin
    Tegusonly.com