Thread: Got my first tegu!

Default Got my first tegu!

Recently my savannah monitor, Spencer, passed away. Before wanting a savannah monitor, I've always loved tegus. A couple of days ago, I acquired my first tegu.

He's about 3-5 months old as my guess. Probably about a foot and a half, to two feet. He's tame, but getting him out of the enclosure sometimes is a hassle. He'll sort of hiss and jump out of your hands. We've named him Isaac.

He's currently in a 2x1 foot tank, reason being is that we're living temporarily at my mom's house. Once we're going to go to my dad's house, we're building him a 6x2 enclosure. I want to put earth in there as a substrate if that's fine, and have a shallow water dish. Also have a basking lamp in there for him, and a hide. If anyone could post pictures of their indoor enclosures that would be great.

Also for food, I've been feeding him a mixture so far of lettuce, watermelon, chicken, and egg. I've also tried cucumber once. He hasn't touched anything other than egg and chicken so far..two days ago, however, he swallowed a piece of wood chip substrate with his food and since then he hasn't eaten. I'm not sure if it's because he's gotten such a large first meal and maybe hasn't been properly fed at the store..how regularly should they be eating? And how big of a meal?

Any tips overall would be appreciated.

Awesome Congratulations on your first tegu! What kind is he? He should eat daily.
    Last edited by Blake; 08-08-2013 at 08:16 PM.
    In a society that had destroyed all adventure, the last adventure is to destroy that society.

You should try to feed outside the enclosure. That way your gu doesnt eat any more bark. Congrats on the new gu

Hi Isaac. Welcome to our Tegu forum family and congrats on your new Tegu. I highly recommend feeding Isaac outside of his enclosure like in the bathtub. He is maybe not eating because ( like you sad ) he had a big meal the day before or he is impacted from the mulch. I would put him in the bathtub and give him a luke warm/warm bath. Most of the time they will poop in the water. If he poops and without any problems then it was because he had a big meal. If he is trying to poop but he wiggles his hips side to side ( like my female in the video below ) then he is impacted. I recommend 100% cypress mulch ( make sure it's not a blend ) because it holds the humidity very well. The 6X2 sounds a bit to small. What kind of Tegu is he ? You can feed him lean ground turkey/beef, chicken gizzards, hearts, liver, chicken/turkey breast. Fresh fish filets or frozen/thawed like tuna, cod, cat fish, tilapia, salmon, smelts. Hard boiled eggs without the shell. The shells are very sharp. You can grind up the shells and put it into the ground meat for the natural calcium. Different kinds of fruits. They like the sweet ones a lot like mangoes, blue berries. Give him the bananas just as a treat every now and then because they are high in potassium. The spinach shouldn't be given to often either. He should be eating feeder rodents like mice, rats, chicks, quail, at least twice a week. I recommend bulk ordering from Rodentpro.com. Feed him until he is full. You will know when he is full. He will wipe his face on the ground a few times and then walk away. If you put him back to the food he will walk away from it again. Or he will try to jump out of the tub if you feed him inside the tub. When you give him food that doesn't have any bone in it like the feeder rodents you need to dust it with some calcium powder without the D3 and with some vitamin powder. You also can feed him some feeder worms like super worms, meal worms, horn worms. Feeder roaches like dubias.Hope this helps.

Feeder rodents:

http://www.rodentpro.com/

http://www.rodentpro.com/frozen-feed...nformation.asp

Tegus enclosures:

http://www.thetegu.com/forumdisplay.php?10-Tegu-Housing

This is how a impacted Tegu tries to poop.

Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl