Thread: Need help asap .. Please.. My tegu wont eat at all

Default Need help asap .. Please.. My tegu wont eat at all

Hello!! everybody.
    I know it has been along time since I have been on Tegu community but there is a good reason for that, it's because everything has been okay with my tegu.
    But lately for some reason he stopped eating and since then it has been like about 2 month since he ate anything.
    I know he is not hibernating because he's up everyday in the cage and I let him out to walk around the house and I take him outdoors sometime too.
    I try all type of food and no luck.
    I know he has a little problem with shedding but besides that, I don't know what else to do.
    If you have any idea or suggestion or advise please let me know before its worse..
    I know if there is anything i can do to help him out, I will find the answer, here because of all the tegu lovers that's on this community .

When was the last time he pooped ? Did the poop look solid or very runny ? Did it smell very sour ? Does he look bloated ? When was the last time you changed out his UVA/UVB light ? I could be wrong but maybe he ate something outside that he shouldn't of. Just if you don't mind could you please post some photos of him. Do you know if he is drinking anything ? It's very hard to tell what could be wrong with him. I would take him to a vet just to make sure. This is a very long time without eating anything. If you want to you can try to give him some stage one chicken baby food to see if he will lick it up. Another thing you can do is take a stool sample if possible since he hasn't been eating anything to your vet and have it checked for parasites. If after your vet checked him out ask him if it's ok to feed your Tegu. If he says yes you can give him the carnivore diet ( in the link below ) to start out with. Please keep us posted. Thank you and good luck.

In case you are interested in getting this product I found a bigger bag on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/110804562235...84.m1438.l2649

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA07606U0196&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle8&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle8-_-Small+Pets+-+Health+Care-_-Oxbow+Animal+Health-_-9SIA07606U0196
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Dr Diaz at the Lake Howell Animal Hospital is a certified exotic vet. There can be many reasons why a tegu isn't eating ranging from incorrect set-up to nutritional issues to illness.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

Thanks for replying.

First of all, the last time he pooped was last week. he usually poops once every other week. The poop condition its white and runny. The last thing he ate was a white mouse I bought at PET LAND; about a month ago.
    Second his UV is working perfectly as well as his heat lamp.
    Now he did had some shedding problems as I mentioned before.
    As far as liquids he does drinks water with no problems by himself, and I add REPTISAFE on it, also I have being trying APPETITE PLUS for like 2 months, it works at first but now it kind of loose its effect.

Please feel free to ask me anything relating to him, I am willing to answer in hopes of getting a solution.

thanks,

Reddragong 123

Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon123 View Post
    Thanks for replying.

First of all, the last time he pooped was last week. he usually poops once every other week. The poop condition its white and runny. The last thing he ate was a white mouse I bought at PET LAND; about a month ago.
    Second his UV is working perfectly as well as his heat lamp.
    Now he did had some shedding problems as I mentioned before.
    As far as liquids he does drinks water with no problems by himself, and I add REPTISAFE on it, also I have being trying APPETITE PLUS for like 2 months, it works at first but now it kind of loose its effect.

Please feel free to ask me anything relating to him, I am willing to answer in hopes of getting a solution.

thanks,

Reddragong 123
    Try giving him a warm bath, that helps them poop. It also helps in shedding and my boy honestly seems to enjoy it. Also, have you only tried offering him the same foods? Argentines will eat fruit, turkey, chicks, roaches and certain dog foods. I'd recommend trying some ground turkey mixed with a veggie and some calcium. With some of my lizards, I had to cut open the mouse to make it more appetizing (I only feed frozen). Make sure he's warm, that's often an issue when reptiles don't eat. Mine tends to not eat as much when he is shedding so that may have some effect. I know these are all really obvious things, I don't pretend to know much but here's my attempt at helping. I really hope he gets better. I'd agree with the vet thing as well

Default Need help asap my tegu wont eat at all....!!!!!

Get some vitamine b for humans and crush a pil. Mix it with water and give it to him in his mouth. You can give this ones a week at least. You can't overdose it.
    He will shed much better after 1 or 2 weeks.
    Try to feed him his food mixed with raw egg. It most of the time triggers them to eat. Can you post some pictures of your tegu? What brand of uvb bulb do you use?

Some Tegus also have shedding problems if they are stressed out. Here is some info for you to check out if you like. DeathByLol is right. Adding some fruits and veggies help. Also does chicken livers or fresh fish filets or sardines ( not from the can ). Since he is just pooping every other week how often does he eat ? When he is a adult he should eat at least every other day. Most of the time they poop the next day if the basking temps are right and they basked long enough. I don't know when you feed him but I recommend letting him bask for at least two hours before you feed him to get his metabolism going. I would try to give him a bath, too. I almost forgot to ask you. Do you feed live rodents or do you give it to him prekilled ? If it's live the rodent might stress him out. I don't want to tell you what to do but it would be better to feed frozen/thawed and just feeder rodents. The ones at the pet store you never know where they come from and if they are sick. I lost a ball python because I gave her two live rodents from the bet store. She was fine before that.

http://www.anapsid.org/shedding.html

http://www.rodentpro.com/frozen-feed...nformation.asp
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

If it is just white and runny with nothing else coming out like hair or solid material, he could have a partial impaction. But that actually sounds like urates and water...what we think of as pee.

Keep your surface basking temp at 120minimum so that he can operate at preferred body temp. Use a digital or infrared for accurate measurements.

Make sure your UVB is quality and placed within the proper distance with no obstructions. Also, the FL sun is pretty awesome and an hr weekly can do wonders!

Keep him hydrated with fresh water and a humidity level of at least 60%.

Feed a variety of foods. You never know what they like. My reds LOVE canteloupe, watermelon, berries, cherries, mango, peaches, etc. For meats I try rodents, chicks, fish, ground beef and turkey, chicken pieces.

Supplement with calcium on any food that does not have bones.

I have a red and the tail tip is slow to shed sometimes. I just leave it be and keep an eye on it. You can try water soluble KY jelly to add moisture. I've also used hospital grade lotion without any additives for animals, but not tried it on my tegus. I find increasing the humidity and keeping the substrate moist helps with shedding.
    Laura R (FL)
    1.0.0 Colombian Tegu
    1.4.0 Argentine B&W Tegu
    1.2.0 Red Tegu
    1.2.0 B/WxRed Tegu
    1.0.0 Green Ameiva (yet another teiid)
    7 other lizards
    1 little gator
    3 FL box turtle
    1 Sulcata tortoise
    16 snakes
    5 fuzzy pets
    4 little frogs
    a bunch of creepy bugs
    and a partridge in a pear tree

I moved Quolibet's post from the other thread.

I'm going to close the second thread later as to keep all the replies together.

An actual rundown of your husbandry would help, from the kind of lights you have, how old they are, what you're feeding and how often to what you're using to measure temps and humidity. The more info you give the more we can help you, this is not the time to be criptic even then a Vet visit may be in order.
    0.1.0 BP (Spiral) aka Rita Wayward
    2.1. Dogs (White Boys "Powder", Paw Paws "Achilles" & Panini)

" 14 July 2010,..Always Remembered"