Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tegu vomited

Default Tegu vomited

Hi everyone

Ruby vomited twice today. He might have been cold these past few days, we moved him to a new apartment so that he can roam around in the balcony...these last three days have been quite windy and cloudy, thus he couldn't really bask after food. I realized that I should've put him back in the cage though he resisted.

This afternoon he vomited the undigested fish he ate yesterday, I quickly put him inside his cage and he basked, I gave him fresh water mixed with nutribac. About an hour later, he vomited again, less than the first one. He looks very lethargic now, didn't even bothered opening his eyes as I put him on the basking spot.

Any suggestions on how to go about this?? I'm unable to bring him to the vet since there are no vet specializes in exotic animals.

Thanks,

Shirley

Hi Shirley. In this case I would bring him to the vet as soon as you can.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

Hi txrepgirl

Thanks for your prompt reply. There are no vets in my city that can treat exotic animals, in addition, having large size animals as pets is against the law. If I were to take him outside, people would report us and ruby be taken elsewhere.

Is there anything else that I could possibly do for him at home?

Thanks

Your welcome . It is very hard to determine what could be wrong. What kind of fish did Ruby eat ? Was if a frozen/thawed one of was it alive ? Do you have any chicken baby food you can give him for right now to see if he keeps this down ? Then if he keeps this down go back to the solid food but just give him a little bit at a time. Unless he seems very hungry and is active. Also try to give him some Pedialyte. To make sure he isn't dehydrated. Try to higher the basking temps a bit. Here is some information to check out if you like. I'm sorry I didn't give you this link before. How is he doing now ? Please keep us posted. Thank you.

http://www.anapsid.org/vomiting.html
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

The fish were feeder fish, the usual kind that we buy, and we have never had problems. We bought them live and freeze them, given to ruby thawed on a room temperature...perhaps I should warm them up a little bit more.

I just bought some baby food as soon as I read some suggestions online, but it was his sleep time after I came back, so he was uninterested in everything. Will try today.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try them out.

Shirley

Just an update from today: he basked in the morning but seems sleepy, he walked away from the basking spot to sleep on the cooler side slightly away from the basking spot.

I opened the cage wanting to put him back to the basking spot, he then opened his eyes and walked out of the cage. Since today is sunny, I put him out on the balcony...I've tried to get him to drink some water but he refused, also tried baby food nut he only had a bit of taste and moved away from me. He's now lying down on the floor, eyes closed, under the sun.

Could it be because he had been cold these few days that his body started slowing down and now he's trying to soak up warmth? Should I be worried at this point? He's got water available to him too...I mixed it with some pedialyte.

Thanks,
    Shirley

Your welcome. It's normal for Tegus not wanting to eat or move a lot if they have been cold for to long. It's very good to hear that he was basking in the sun. The natural sunlight can work wonders. I don't know, maybe the fish hasn't been thawed out all the way ( like you mentioned ). Since he doesn't want to drink anything try to give him some luke warm/warm baths. Most of the time they will drink the water when they take a bath. Maybe he doesn't want to eat anything because his stomach is still upset. If it's nice outside keep letting him bask in the sun. I wish I could help you more. I'm sorry. Thank you for the update.

Our videos :

Thanks txrepgirl for the advice, it helps to ease my mind. He's been sleeping while basking, not wanting to eat or drink, I just put water through a syringe and squirted some into his mouth. He seems to be quite weak...hope he perks up tomorrow.

Your welcome. Since I don't really know what is wrong with Ruby I'm not sure if this is the right thing to do. But you might have to try to force feed him the baby food. Please put the food into the side of his mouth and not from the front straight down his throat. He needs the protein from the chicken baby food for the strength. If you want to you can order the Carnivore care for him ( info in the link below ). You can find this Item on newegg or on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA07606U0196

Our videos :

As txrepgirl said early on, you should really get your tegu to a qualified vet. I understand your hesitation to this, but you may need to seek out a veterinarian somewhere else where a tegu won't be an issue. When reptiles vomit (and there's a difference between regurgitation and vomiting) this is a really bad sign. Rarely have I seen a vomiting reptile recover without prompt, informed intervention. The vomiting could be due to food poisoning, twisted GI tract, ulcers, etc., many things that will NOT go away with rest and will continue to worsen. The longer your tegu goes without eating, the less are his chances that he will start eating again. In the mean time, there are some things you can do. As txrepgirl pointed out, Pedialyte (diluted to about 50%) would be an excellent idea: vomiting eliminates a lot of ions that help keep your tegu healthy and these should be replenished. By the "usual feeder kind" I'm assuming goldfish or something along those lines. These can have been treated with metals or other compounds that are toxic to your tegu. While vomiting may have eliminated the most of the toxins, there could still be some lingering inside. I would also suggest giving some mineral oil to act as a laxative to help more quickly move out anything that may be troubling your tegu.