Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A welcoming surprise

Thanks for that video. Mine is just about that size, maybe a bit bigger. He actually might be 6 weeks old. Thought I got him longer back but it's only been about 3 weeks and I got him at 3 weeks old I believe. That's a shame that he would be going into hibernation but I guess that might be a good thing. Anything I can do to help or watch out for? And should I still feed him when he does come out? He has burrowed under the aspen two days ago and hasn't come up.

Your welcome. I would just leave him alone. I would still keep his lights on just on a shorter cycle. If he doesn't come out at all anymore for about a week then I would turn off the lights and leave them off. Unless you see him come out on his own. Just put some fresh water in there. I would be very careful with misting the enclosure. Since you can't stir up the mulch so the bottom part can dry out and the lights are off, you don't want the mulch to mold and him getting sick. Or if it's to wet in there he also can get a upper respiratory infection. I wouldn't mist if he doesn't come out at all any more. If he is rubbing against the enclosure and it looks like he wants to come out then I would feed him. If he basks for a while I maybe would offer some food. But it doesn't sound like he is going to be hungry any time soon. One good thing about them hibernating is that they stay the same size as they went into hibernation .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

He came out for a little bit yesterday to bask but then he burrowed again. But thanks for the advice. Awesome about him staying the same size, I want him to get bigger but then again can't miss those days that he is small.

Your welcome. I know how you feel. Thank you for the update.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl