Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A welcoming surprise

Default A welcoming surprise

Yesterday I went to the reptile show aiming to get a snake. Browsed around for about an hour comparing looks and prices. I have no clue how I happen to miss the Tegus. I've wanted one for about a year now and done thorough research. I just never could find one. Well I had found one right there. I instantly fell in love with them. I talked to the breeder and he let me handle one. All thoughts of getting a snake were gone and I had to get my tegu. I got a Argentine Black and White Tegu. He currently is in a 40 gallon tank. I'm getting more lights for it today since I had a snake in mind but oh well. I'm not sure if it's a boy or a girl and still don't have a name yet, I'm very picky about naming. Lol. I look forward to my fun filled adventure with it.

Hi trombleymat. Congrats on your new Tegu. I'm glad you finally found one. Who is the breeder ( if you don't mind me asking ) ? Just if you have the time it would be great if you could post some photos of your new Tegu. Good luck with everything. We will be here for you if you need anything .
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

http://www.youtube.com/user/txrepgirl

1146889_4709235867990_158203560_o.jpg

Thanks. Here is a picture of him, he hides a lot as of now so it is difficult to get a picture of him. He loves to dig. I just got the temps and uvb right. Also have a container big enough for him to soak him. For the question about the breeder I feel bad because I didn't ask too many questions about him. His name was Shay and he was at the Reptile show here in Columbus, Ohio. All of his tegus were lively, properly eating, looked really healthy. He was a pure impulse buy but I believe I knew enough about them to go ahead and get him. I got him to eat some superworms i put in a bowl at one end of his enclosure. Other than that he likes to dig and hide until no one is around, then he walks around.

Your welcome. He is so cute . I don't want to tell you what to do. But please be careful with feeding him inside the enclosure. The worms could get into the mulch and can stress him out if they try to bite him. Or if he finds them on top of the mulch he could accidentally eat a piece of mulch and get impacted. Thank you for posting the photo. Please keep us posted. Thank you.
    Rich is not how much you have, or where you are going, or what you are.Rich is who you have beside you.

Our videos :

I've only seen him eat one worm and yesterday he ate a chunk of ground turkey with beef liver and cod liver oil. When he comes out from hiding I plan on feeding him outside of his enclosure. I've kept an eye on him when he ate both times. Thanks for the advice though. Quick question, how long does it usually take for them to be willing to eat? He just hides under the mulch all the time. Yesterday he was basking on his rock but prefers hiding.

Your welcome. It's different with each Tegu. We have five Tegus ( used to six ). Some ate a lot from day one and two of them took just a bite and then nothing at all and went into hibernation a few days later. Some Tegus are stressed out and take a few days or a week to calm down and then eat. But it's good to hear that he at least ate something. Try to give him some cut up fresh fish filets like salmon, tuna, tilapia, cod, cat fish or smelts. Just put the fish in some warm/hot tap water for a little while to warm up. Take it out and squeeze it to make sure it's not to hot for your Tegu to eat. Or some fresh mango at room temps.

Our videos :

Okay, I'll try that later tomorrow. I'll let you know if I manage to get him to eat a little more.

I know you want to wait until you feed him outside of the enclosure. When ever you do you can put him either in the bathtub or in a dark colored bin. Step back so he can't see you but you still can keep a eye on him. After he calms down he might eat something. So far this always worked for me. Thank you for keeping us posted. Good luck. Oh, one more thing before I forget. Please make sure you put some calcium powder on every food that doesn't have bones in it. Thank you.

Our videos :

Okay, thanks. I'll try the bathtub when I get home from work. Yep, I always put calcium powder on everything like that. Just bought some more the other day actually. Thanks again.

Your welcome. Keep up the good job . Talk to you later.

Our videos :